Author Topic: got my old pellet rifle working again, some matinence questions  (Read 7374 times)

Offline recurve shooter

i know this is really off of the archery topic but idk who els to ask about this stuff. so nomadic pirate's threads about airgun hunting got me wanting my old benjamin working again, so i found it and took a look at it. the o rings had gone out in it. Its a benjamin pump, .177 cal. i've had this thing for 12 or 13 years, and killed a pile of squirrels and birds with it, but twice in that time i have had to take it appart and get an o ring kit from the manufacturer and replace them all, cuz they lose the air tight seal. any idea what i should do to keep this from happening? great gun, just blows o rings alot.  ???
lets just shoot it

Offline crooketarrow

Re: got my old pellet rifle working again, some matinence questions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:55:56 pm »
   VASALINE helps to keep in solf but you can't wait to it gets hard to do it.I have 2 177's a 22 and a 25 cal.I'm getting a 45  to deer hunt with next fall.Just shot a 50 cal pneumatic he filled it with a subs tank but it also has a pump made by Quackinbush nice the guy told me it's good out to 150.I shot at 30 touched holes.At 50 inch at 75 1 1/2.This was as far as his range was.
    I saw 500 yard groups his friend shot.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:12:53 pm »
Silicon grease sold in dive shop is fantastic on O-rings, or you can get some Chamber oil from RWS, this oil periodicallyused on guns is a life saver
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:35:13 pm »
i need to get a good air gun.  i think .22 would be great!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 05:36:13 pm »
there's a new .22 came out, that is great and cheap, I'm gonna get her real soon
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 06:50:56 pm »
 I'd go with the silicone base like Manny said. Petroleum is bad on breaking rubber down.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:02:44 pm »
ok cool i'll try to get some of that stuff. thanks everyone.

yeah i wish i had a .22, but never had any trouble with the .177 killin what i shoot with it.  ;D

anyway im waitin on my friend to get here with my scope, should be deadly again by dark. only prollem is that all the tasty critters are illeagle to kill right now.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:59:25 pm by recurve shooter »
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 02:52:14 am »
I use pure Silicone grease...or dielectric grease....both are pure silicone...and I never put the Gun up without any air pressure either...I always pump it once or twice before putting it in the closet for any extended periods of time...and as for the o-rings...I get mine from the neighborhood gasket and packing shop...they have rubber....viton...silicone ...you name it...they have any o-ring you could want
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 04:57:42 am »
Mike is right, pump guns like PCPs should never be left empty.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:23:14 am »
Mike is right, pump guns like PCPs should never be left empty.

DID NOT KNOW THAT! lol i always assumed the opposite. thanks.  ;D

by the way i got a scope on it last night, took two hours and two trips to wallmart (mostly because my friend and i have the combined intellegence of a good fence post) but i got it on. then i couldnt get it sited it, when i dialed the windage, the elevation changed and vise-versa. till i figured out i had put the scope on sideways.  ::)

anyway, got it workin now, gunna see what the limits for range, ect are on it tonight. and i will deffinetly be getting some of that silicon grease. thanks guys.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 09:53:50 pm »
                       Boy...you are about da sharpest Tack in da Box........... ;D.............Dats a Joke Son....a Joke.........  :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 11:11:35 pm »
lol so i been told.  :P and after three days of sighting in and ajusting i broke the scope mounts and went back to open sights.
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 03:50:52 am »
                                                                  Man................. ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 11:16:29 am »
lol. at this point its more like a pellet....musket. hits where its supposed to most of the time, but i cant get the pinpoint accuracy of a scope, which kinda sucks cuz a .177 aint exactly got knockdown power.  :P now the .17 hmr i have in my closet is a differentl story.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 12:10:08 pm »
lol. at this point its more like a pellet....musket. hits where its supposed to most of the time, but i cant get the pinpoint accuracy of a scope, which kinda sucks cuz a .177 aint exactly got knockdown power.  :P now the .17 hmr i have in my closet is a differentl story.  ;D
I love my .17 hmr, but it is a little loud for shooting all the ringneck doves in the back yard.  O:)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah