Author Topic: need help with osage stave  (Read 2830 times)

ilcoalminer

need help with osage stave
« on: March 21, 2010, 05:24:37 am »
ok i'm planing my first bow and i'm wanting to build an osage 60" 50# recurve bow.  i've found a stave for sale i think would make a good bow but i'm second guessing my self and i'm wanting to opinions for some more seasoned bowyers

thanks for you time

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dean Marlow

Re: need help with osage stave
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:46:03 am »
I haven't made a-lot of recurves but that looks like a real good piece of Osage. Looks like you got some nice rings to work with. Is the belly clean of any big knots? Dean

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:27:10 am »
Looks like a decent stave but for a first bow a 50" recurve may be a bit ambitious.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline bambule

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:25:38 am »
I think 60" was meant - but it's also an ambitious project for a first bow. Really good piece of Osage - make it 65" and and straight.
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:12:47 am »
Yep, 65" and straight for your first bow, mighty nice piece of osgage.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 12:10:58 pm »
Save that stave until you learn how to make a bow. I ruined many great pieces of bow wood when I first started trying to bite off more than I could chew. Learn proper tillering and patience first with a few straight limb bows with decent length first then you will have a better chance of succeeding with a 60" osage recurve.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 12:22:16 pm »
Must be the "Old Men" in Us ......I agree totally with Pat....save it for a Day that You have all of the right Toolls....and I am not necessarily talking about Handheld Tools... ;)....get a few Working Bows under Your Belt...then tackle that beauty...you have a chance at two great Bows from that Stave...or a bunch of Yella Firewood....get a straight piece of Hickory...or a Board...and practice all you have read...and ask as many questions as needed...We are all here for Help......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:55:16 pm »
Great piece of Osage you have there.  If you are stuck on a recurve, I would keep it under 60" but that is just me. What draw length are you looking for? In my opinion, draw length at least as important as poundage when figuring the length. I find Osage very forgiving, I think that it is a great beginner wood. I made my first selfbow, my second bow overall, with a Gary Davis Osage stave.

You have access to some of the worlds best bowyers right here on this site, so there is no reason you can't build a good bow the first time. Ask a bunch of questions, and get a little more feedback before you start cutting such a fine piece of wood. Tell us the draw length and we can give you a better idea on length. Post lots of pictures as you tiller and you can get all of the guidance you need.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

ilcoalminer

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 02:48:20 pm »
Hey thanks guys for the advice.  First off i have a 72" arm span so i was thinking a 28" draw would be comfortable.

I'm a vary ambitious guy and sometimes that gets me in over my head, but i'm good with man hands and i plan on buying the how to video from James Easter on his website osagestaves.com.  I do appreciate all the concern but i plan on taking my time with this stave.  I make camp on the Ohio river as soon as the flooding is done and stay there until its to cold to stay in my little camper so i have nothing but time to work on this project.   

the stave has no big knots, but a few pin knots but not many.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:14:48 pm by Justin Snyder »