Author Topic: First time making a bow  (Read 4750 times)

Offline chriss880

Re: First time making a bow
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 10:27:53 am »
can someone post a picture of a hickory tree so i can go look for it and my last bow that is working but i need a new glue if any of you know what glue to use it was oak

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 11:47:12 am »
Where do you live?  Hickory does not grow everywhere, and certain species live in certain areas.

Most folks are using Titebond II or Titebond III for laminating a back onto a core stave or board.  I though from your initial post you wanted to make a self bow - all one piece of wood.  Don't need any glue from that.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline chriss880

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 11:55:09 am »
i live in maryland and thanks i will use titebond

danielson

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 05:28:43 pm »
what you need to do is go to www.poorfolkbows.com.

HatchA

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 06:42:07 pm »
what you need to do is go to www.poorfolkbows.com.

Steve there is responsible for starting me rolling down this hill of bow-building...

And I'm sooooooooooo thankful for him :D

Offline MarkR

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 01:26:18 am »
Chris, I'm no expert (about 50 bows), but I would go to the nearest Menards and get a 1x2 or 2x2 piece of red oak with the grain lines as straight as possible and follow whatever Jawge says on his site. I back most of my bows (even the hickory) with the jute that comes in a roll. I think it's mostly used in upholstering. (It's available at Wal-Mart around here and it even (somewhat) takes a stain.) Usually use Titebond II. For an inexpensive backing, it can make a difference in durability. Good luck.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 03:34:27 pm »
Definitely second the poorfolkbows.  This buildalong is the best, most thorough, easiest-to-understand I've come across.  It doesn't make a pretty bow, but it makes a bow.  And that's where you need to start.

http://poorfolkbows.com/oak.htm

Good luck!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson