Author Topic: Bamboo backed Hard Maple Boardbow Question?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Bentstick81

Bamboo backed Hard Maple Boardbow Question?
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:06:24 pm »
 I'm working on my first BB backed bow ever. I have it tillered to just about brace height. When i look down the bow from the tip, i notice a slight twist in the tip. As i am looking at the tip, it is twisting clockwise out on the very tip :-\. The edge of the limbs, like on a clock, the twist is like 10 & 4. I took some off the right side, (4 side) as you are looking at the tip, and hasn't helped much. >:(  Am i taking material off the correct side?  I was thinking that maybe the bamboo is stronger on one side, compared to the other. Could this be? :-\

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Bamboo backed Hard Maple Boardbow Question?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:11:56 pm »
Pictures would be helpful...could be that when you were scraping...you took more off one side...happens to almost all of Us ....when we first started....really easy to take too much off of it off on your dominant Hand side...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:21:55 pm »
   I wish i could get a picture out. If you were looking at the tip, with belly side up, and looking down the string to the other tip, the string would be 12:00 on a clock. The edges of the limbs are setting at 10:00 & 4:00. I took the material off the 4:00 side. This 4:00 side is even thinner than the 10:00 side, but still twists to the 4:00 side. Hope i am explaining it where you guys can understand what i'm asking. :-[

Offline Barrage

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 10:36:27 pm »
Could be some twist from glue up.  I've had that happen before a couple times.  I was able to get things lined back up with a little heat.
Travis

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 12:55:55 am »
Could be the glue up. Did you use rubber straps? They can put in a twist easily. If thats the case just live with it if it shoots good. Also it could be from cutting it out a bit off center. If thats the case filing one side of the string groove deeper can help. To check this lay the bow on a flat table on its side and measure from the table up to the tip on both ends then flip it and do the same.  All measurements should be the same ideally. It could also be from removing wood unevenly while scraping. If thats the case the weaker side will come towards you as you draw the bow but could be straight when not under tension. Hope that makes sense :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline acker

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:16:06 am »
That might help you.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:30:49 am by acker »

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:13:59 am »
scrape 10:00
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"