Author Topic: self field points  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

self field points
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:12:41 pm »
hey guys i'm new at making bamboo arrows. I was just wondering what some of you folks use for target points? I would like it to be over 150 grains if possible. I have heard of folks using double headed nails but seems like it might make the arrow stiffer by feeding the majority of the nail into the bamboo. Any suggestions?

Offline Little John

Re: self field points
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:35:38 pm »
Here is what I like to use for bamboo. It is based off of a 16 penny nail but shoots and looks good. Braze a glob of brass onto dead of nail and grind to shape while spinning with electric drill. About 125 grains.

[attachment deleted by admin]
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 03:48:42 pm »
I use Kenneth's(Little John) nail points(above) in my cane arrows and love them. Most of the flexing of the arrow is in the center so the nock and point end don't bend and the nail has no ill effects.   You can also taper the point end to accept glue on field points or use screw in field points by drilling the opening big enough to accept the threaded shank. I would add a wrap behind the point if you use the screw in field points or the nails to strengthen the end of the cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:38:28 pm »
pat, i have yet to need to wrap any of my arrows behind the field points i have made, and they have split or come out yet..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 12:23:10 am »
Because of the direction the pressure pushes the points wraps are probably not necessary but I wrap them all anyway.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:01:19 am »
The nail points that Little John makes work great, and you can also just use regular field points.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:13:23 am »
The ground double headed nail points work excellent. Little John's point are definetely better, but do require more work and a torch. I have had regular field points break off the bamboo at the taper. No problems with the nail point, they stick in targets (3D or matts) like field points. I have not yet had one break, including hitting frozen dirt that has broken wood arrows at the point.

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:39:22 pm »
what length nail are you guys using? i actually cut all the wraps off my arrows because my target choice, a radiator box with a lot of boxes stuff in, was pulling off my wraps anyways..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:44:32 pm »
I used a 16D double headed nail 145 grains ground, about 2-1/2" long