Author Topic: hypothetical question  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
hypothetical question
« on: March 12, 2010, 11:17:25 am »
Lets say just for blank & giggles, you  are building an asymmetrical bow  and you hit draw weight at your draw length.  You take a pic of the bow at full draw and notice the bow is bending a little bit more in the bottom limb than the top.   You don't want to shave the top limb because you are happy with the weight so can you mildly heat treat JUST the bottom limb into a slight reflex to stiffen it up a little so you would end up with an even/slightly positive tiller?  Has anyone ever done this to save weight?  Thanks for reading...   (This is all hypothetical of course...  ;D)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: hypothetical question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 11:20:58 am »
I'd say if you hit your drwa weight and length and the bow shoots good, leave it alone.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 12:21:04 pm »
I guess you could but I would just cut the bottom off a little. :) :) Done that several times when the bottom got ahead of the top and I was at or close to weight.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 01:08:10 pm »
I'd give the top limb a few scrapes probably close to the fades. It wouldn't change the weight much. The other thing is you could move the arrow pass down a little bit too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 03:04:38 pm »
thanks guys for the suggestions.   :)  You guys are great!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:41:29 pm »
 I've done it with one bow with know problems. I missed the draw weight by just a little and the bow was for somebody else that wasn't flexible on the weight. The bottom limb was already at it's peak and I new if I scraped any I would lose a few pounds more that I couldn't get back. So I did exactly like you are describing and also toasted the bottom limb pretty good to stiffen it up a little. It worked great and I got the weight I had to have.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 12:25:41 am »
Just do like Rusty Crane used to do....."Oh you wanted a 60# bow instead of a 55#?" "Give it back and I will fix it." Then he calmly walks to the truck, reaches into his pocket for the sharpie and changes the 55, to 60... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Josh

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 12:29:09 am »
I think i am going to start writing 35 lbs on all my bows, that way when someone is struggling to pull a bow I made that is really 60 lbs I can make fun of them for not being able to pull 35 lbs.   :)

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 01:27:38 am »
under the 35# write El D's "do or do not, ther is no try." ;D >:D ;D

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 04:40:17 pm »
 That's funny Tim, I'll remember that. I was trading a bow for a bow and the other guy had a good set of scales also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?