Author Topic: Wool Felt Making  (Read 3605 times)

Offline DanaM

Wool Felt Making
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:52:13 pm »
Never one to turn down something free that may be useful I recently was given to trash bags of wool. Ever since seeing James Parkers dog hair hat I've
been wanting try felting. Did a test run tonight to see how it works, not to tough at all, made this small test piece, next is a hunting vest and hat.
What ya all think? Seems to be real durable and strong, anyone else ever try felting?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Stoker

Re: Wool Felt Making
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 06:43:31 pm »
Should be a warm vest
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »
Looks like a bad hair piece to me  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 08:04:56 pm »
Looks like a bad hair piece to me  ;D

LOL yea it does John but its pretty cool how this works, I'm gonna be styling in da woods this fall ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:45:58 am »
Dana:  Give us a basic rundown of the process.

One of my neighbors has some sheep.  Hummm...  Might be a cure for my cold feet.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 12:10:35 pm »
David Google "Making Wool Felt"

Basically you make layers with hanks of wool with each layer running 90 degrees to the last layer.
I laid it out on bubble wrap as the textured surface helps"mat" the wool fibers.Then I wetted it with hot soapy water rolled the whole thing up and
sorta worked it like a rolling pin, un wrap turn 90 degrees and re-roll some more. Once its holding together well I put it in the sink with hot water and just used
my fingers to sort of knead it in all directiions. Harder to explain than to do it, Google It ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 12:35:07 pm »
the fun really starts after the wool is felted- you can decorate it with "needle felting" . you ise a barbed needle to poke loose wool into the felt, creating 3D designs. It's easy!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:26:38 pm »
Looks like you've done this before aaron :) Thanks for the pictures and the tip on adding designs

Manistique, MI

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »
Aaron, where's the photo of you modeling the hat? >:D >:D 
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Grunt

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 01:10:21 pm »
Cool hat!!