Author Topic: Service Berry  (Read 2032 times)

bowkee

Service Berry
« on: March 07, 2010, 05:28:47 pm »
What does that wood look like?

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Service Berry
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »
I assume you're asking how to identify it in the field.  Here's a picture of the bark of the stuff we grow in Canada:

Restrict your stave search to understory growth, if the tree has it too easy it grows crookeder and with more branches.  It grows pretty straight and largely has no real branches until 5 or 6 feet up.  The branches then hug the main trunk and stay pretty close, they're kind of squiggly looking.  Look carefully at the bark, the stretch marks follow the grain of the wood, so you can avoid cutting anything with too much twist, although rumor has it you can ignore the twist and just make a straight bow regardless of grain.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

bowkee

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 10:38:47 pm »
Thanks Zenmonkeyman, Not what I found today, i'll keep serching. Thanks for the pic post

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 11:38:27 pm »
Service berry should be blooming soon. We have a tree variety here on the east coast and it is one of the first native trees to bloom. Small, white , five part flowers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:42:30 am »
Hehe, blooming depends on your latitude I think...

I look for the candy cane bark, usually a couple saplings grow together in a coppice.  I then look for the straightest ones with the straightest lines on the bark.  I love the stuff, just dry slowly and... make sure it's dry when you bend it.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:05:56 am »
... make sure it's dry when you bend it.

Does this answer my question about how you're doing with your saskatoon stave?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:17:34 am »
Hehe, I've got 5 or 6 staves that are pretty dry by now.  Roughed out soon after being felled last June.

I don't have the time (willpower) to finish up any of these so I'm making mini crossbows with the scraps.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 01:09:52 pm »
Wood interior is rather satiny.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline uwe

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 03:17:50 pm »
Oldbow: Russian submarine clock?
Regards Uwe

bowkee

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 03:41:41 am »
well I guess I'm outa luck with service berry, Don't see it around here.