Author Topic: Maple Syrup?  (Read 5592 times)

Offline KShip85

Maple Syrup?
« on: March 11, 2010, 02:41:05 am »
Hey just wondering if anyone has ever done any maple tapping and made syrup from it.  An article in the local paper had inspired me to give it a go.  Could not believe how fast the sap pours out of there.  After about 7 gallons of sap and hours of boiling I believe I have ended with about 20 ounces of syrup.  Stuff taste sweet and I think tomorrow I will give it a go on some blueberry pancakes!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline stickbender

Re: Maple Syrup?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 03:19:29 am »

Never done it, but I think it takes, about 49-50 gallons, to make one gallon of syrup. ;)
I think the Indians, just poured it on snow, and ate it.

Wayne

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:04:02 am »
HEy Kip,

I had a friend from Vermont who told me that guys would collect many gallons of sap, and then to concentrate it down it had to be boiled for at least 24 hours.  They'd cook it in huge vats all night long.  But they would just make it into one big social party.  They'd all get together and drink and party, and keep throwing wood on the fire to keep the vats boiling.  And yeah, it takes a lot of sap just to make a little bit of syrup.  I've heard in its natural state it tastes kinda bitter, but hours of boiling concentrates the sugars until it's sweet.  I love real maple syrup..I can't stand that fake Log cabin junk.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:12:08 am »
The saps running here in the UP buckets hanging on trees everywhere :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:18:08 pm »
havent made it in a few years . there is nothing sweeter though. these days i take the sap and boil it down 50 percent. i then use the sap as a base for teas and i make coffee with it. sassafrass root and maple sap is incredible. gonna be doing a rock boiling demonstration on maple syrup next week. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:56:08 pm »
I did some years ago but boiled a lot and got a little.  :D

My neighbor has been boiling for a few days now and collects sap every day!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 11:56:54 am »
Kip, sugared for the first time last year and had a lot of fun with it. I've got posts in "anything else" with the arch and evaporation process. Nothing smells better than the steam from the pot when it turns to syrup! Good luck and have fun!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 12:04:50 pm »
Too much trouble..........heard you can get it in a Bottle now...already made.............. >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »
  OH  MAN  !!!!!  we  do  soo  much  of  that  here   the  next  three  weeks  is  allmost  a  state  holiday!!!!    it's  still  funny  to  see  a three  hundred  trees  is  the  woods  all  conected  together with  tubes  and  a  big  collection  tank  at  the  bottom of  the  hill   I  love  it  stoke  the  fire  all  night  and  there  may  be  a  malt  beverage  or  two  NEW YORK  state  is  kinda cool  if  we  could  only  sell  off  nyc  JW

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 01:05:37 pm »
 That's our version of making cane syrup down South. It used to be a big social event with all the neighbors chipping in. You hardly see a cane crusher anymore or the big cast iron kettles.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lowell

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 12:30:50 am »
Too much trouble..........heard you can get it in a Bottle now...already made.............. >:D

El D...heard you can get bows and arrows ready made too!!  ;) :D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 01:05:25 am »

El D...heard you can get bows and arrows ready made too!!  ;) :D

No way...... Man is this world something....or what... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Lombard

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 12:19:39 am »
My Grandfather used to make his own when I was a kid. I remember how good it was on pancakes, french toast, on ice cream, and right out of the jug when nobody was looking  ;). If my memory serves me correctly it was something like ten gallons of sap to get one quart of syrup.