Author Topic: what glue to use for laminating  (Read 9079 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: what glue to use for laminating
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 08:24:47 pm »
i am using 3 clamps like 12 inches apart

That's not near enough clamps. When I use clamps I space them about every 2-3 inches.
Gordon

Grunt

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 10:17:44 pm »
Sounds like the clamps are the problem. I use the same as Gordon. It is a pretty big chunk of $ to get enough clamps. Maybe some of the guys will chime in on some low cost clamping methods. I've got enough clamps but I'm 63 and I have been collecting them for half my life.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 12:26:19 am »
Split Bicycle Innertubes...or Ace Bandages work fine for Me...or if you have a Harbor freight near by...they sell some pretty cheap Clamps...but they are not the Strongest either...I prefer the Ace Bandages because they can breath....and the Glue dries faster...just be sure that you don't torque the Glue-Up as you stretch the Bandages tight...you can end up inducing Propeller twist....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 01:21:43 am »
Go to harbor freight or home depot and get a bunch of spring clamps. When they are on sale they are about a buck a piece. They are much cheaper than screw clamps and work just as well for this application.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 02:12:39 am »
Does anyone ever use Smooth on for hickory backed or bamboo backed glue ups?  I got some left over.  I have two bows I need to glue up.
Quite often....
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 11:43:59 am »
I've used spiral wrapped shrink-wrap to clamp glue ups of other long-skinny projects.  No reason it won't work for a bow.   Get a 5" wide roll from HD or Lowe's for about $8, it'll last a looooonnnnggg time.  Use a couple C clamps  to hold the pieces together as you start to wrap, and remove them as you come to them.  Let it sit 24 hrs, then remove the wrap.  There will be un-set glue on glue line.  That's OK. Let it sit another couple hours until that dries.  Then you're good to go.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »
I'm with Ken and the stretch wrap, you want to start at the middle of the bow and work out to the end's wrap til you see the glue squeeze out and continue down the bow. works great for me gluing in reflex
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 05:01:36 pm »
I use TiteBond3 as well as wrappin in plastic wrap and the clamping thoughly. However, when I first started this process I was gettin mixed results, some good, and some not so good. I found my problem. I was applying the glue to the backing and puttin it on the stave and clampin it. I now apply the glue to both the backin and the stave, then put them together,  and then proceed with the wrappin and clampin. Oh ...I fergot...I always score each surface and clean them with denatured alcohol to remove any oils, before I apply the glue. Haven't had a bad glue joint since.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline wildman

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 07:54:36 pm »
I will try to get a pic to you in the next few days of the string and wedge method. You can do several bows for ten bucks or so. You might send Robustus a pm he has probably got pics of glueing a bow up this way.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-