Author Topic: Locust ID  (Read 1808 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Locust ID
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:54:32 am »
What does Locust wood look like. I think we have some honey locust, but need to know what it looks like before I cut it. We harvested 4 Osage yesterday. All very straight grain. Have some more to get, and wan to get some of the Locust if it's good wood. Thanks y'all you're the best ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Locust ID
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:30:16 am »
Honey locust has a scaly bark and large multi- part thorns(generally 3 parts) along the trunk. Black locust has dark furrowed bark with rose like thorns on it's small outer branches and on the trunk of seedlings but not larger trees.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:30:51 am »
Native honey locust will typically have huge thorn clusters al over the place including the trunk. As the trees get older, the bark will develop vertical fissures and larger plates of bark will start to lift from the tree. There was a post here not too long ago where someone cut down a large honey locust that showed the typical barl really well. If you can find any leaves they are typical bi-pinnatley compound with very small leaflets maybe 1/4"-1/3" wide by 3/4" to 1" long and oval. You typically will not see many leaves on the ground in winter since they are so small and decompose quickly; you may see some of the leaf stems though.

The wood itself has very distingct sapwood and heartwood; the sapwood is a cream to light yelow and the heartwood is typically a light salmon/orangy tan color. It's a ring porous wood as well.

Black locust has much smaller thorns and typically on the branches more than the trunk. The bark does not lift up in plates but does fissure vertically. Black Locust leaves are Pinnately compound usually and the leaflets are larger, typically 3/4" wide by 1 1/2" long or so. The sapwood I've see is a little whiter than honey locust and the heartwood more brown than honey locust, many times with a greenish tinge.

Hope this helps.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:46:21 am »
Here is a honey locust trunk. I have seen them that are almost solid thorns.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:36 pm »
 Thanks for the pic Eric. That's just what we found. They are about 6" across. Would they be worth cutting?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline wildman

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:08:31 pm »
I have both growing on my place I have made a self from black and I think I read somewhere that the shawnee and cheerokee made bows from black locust I don't know about honey locust . Do be very careful when cutting with a chainsaw I had the chain sling a thorn in my leg one time they are super sharp
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:15:47 am »
honey locust makes a butiflil bow espically the heartwood  brock