Author Topic: alternatives to fletching glue?  (Read 6824 times)

Offline Orkraider

alternatives to fletching glue?
« on: March 13, 2010, 06:37:56 pm »
Hi all.

I'm hoping to make some arrows in the morning.

I"m not anywhere near an archery supply store, and I'm wondering if I can get away with using some other kind of glue rather than fletching glue or fletching cement.

I'm gluing vanes to wooden shafts, and was hoping I could use super glue or krazy glue?

Has anyone tried this with any success, or should I hold out and wait until I can make a trip to the archery store?

thanks!

Riley

saint paul MN
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

half eye

Re: alternatives to fletching glue?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 06:58:42 pm »
Hey Riley,
        I dont personally, but I know a bunch of the guys on the site reported using gel superglue for fletching. I also stumbled onto the fact that my local dollar store caries DUCO Cement for half the price as the archery shops. You could allways check that out. I use the Duco mostly.....but the other guys on here said they used the super-glue.
Rich

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:12:12 pm »
Riley, a lot of different stuff will work. The reason for a lot of people using certain glues is because they are compatible with the gasket laquer finish often used on commercial shafts. I've had good results with superglue, contact cement, homemade hide glue, household cement like Duco, fletch tape, just about any kind of good glue will work unless it's incompatible with the finish on your arrows. I like superglue because it sets up fast and holds tight and seems to stick to most finishes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 11:21:17 pm »
I have been using fletch tape, and once you get used to using it, it is a snap. It really holds the feathers on there good.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:49:27 pm »
I still love Duco cement, I tried the fletch tape and it holds good but I glue the front and back edge of the fletch to make sure it stays put.
VB

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 09:32:41 pm »
Thanks folks!

I found a store near me that sells super glue at a fraction of the price I've seen everywhere else, and it seems to be working, once I figured out to use very small amounts.

I am going to be looking into fletching tape as soon as I find a source for feathers, it sounds interesting.

Now I just need to get to where the Canada geese hang out in my town.

Cheers!

Riley

Saint Paul, MN
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 09:34:49 pm »
I pretty much only use Duco.  You can find it at hardware stores.
Traverse City, MI