Author Topic: Serving knot ??  (Read 3976 times)

Pdwight

Serving knot ??
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:32:30 am »
When you are serving the fletching at the front and or rear what type of knot do you use ??

Thanks
Dwight

Offline NTD

Re: Serving knot ??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:42:29 am »
Not a ton of experience to talk from here but I start at the front of my feathers and I don't tie a knot...I just sort of loop it and leave a short piece and wrap over that and then continue through the feather...when I get to the back (nock area) I just lift one of the loops and pass the thread through it a few times and then tighten it down.  I then saturate the front and back wrap with super glue a couple times and smooth it over.  Not saying this is the right way or best way, but I haven't had a wrap loosen on me yet.
Nate Danforth

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:00:55 pm »
Howdy Pdwright,

I think a lot of folks do it the same way one would tie in a fishing rod guide.  They wrap (about five wraps) over a looped thread and then stick their string through the looped thread and then pull the thread...  It's easy after watching it on YouTube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJg3bHOAVc&feature=related

Good Luck,
Canoe

P.S.  After you have the wrappings on you'll want to cover the wrappings with a glue of some sort.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:05:28 pm by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:29:27 pm »
Similar to what Canoe said, I make a loop with a separate piece of thread by tying both ends of it together. I then lay it down along the string when I have 5 to 10 wraps to go. Wrap over the loop and when you get to the end stick the tag end into the loop and pull it back through the wrap and snug it up. On strings I do not seal the wrap with glue. On arrows or on wraps on bows I do seal the wrap with glue. Depending on the wrap material will determine the glue used.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:31:33 pm »
What I described is for the serving on a string but I use the same method on arrows and all wraps. I believe it is a variation of a "nail knot".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Pdwight

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:33:39 pm »
Wow great info folks, I have never been good at tying fancy knots....but am very good at taking directions. Is there a pictorial somewhere on this ??

Thanks
Dwight
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:23:56 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:34:54 pm »
Dwight, I'll see if I can take some pics of my method and post them later.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 12:30:24 pm »
Howdy Pdwight and Pat B.,

Here's a link to a knot making guide - it has cartoons showing how to make all the knots you'll ever need...

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

All the Best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline riarcher

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 01:16:53 pm »
Dwight -
Basicly it's the same as wraping a fishing guide on a rod. (I make custom rods too  ;))
Not the best produced vidio maybe,, but the "knot" at the end is the same (for me anyways).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJg3bHOAVc&feature=related

I do start the wrap differently though.

The right way (harder for me);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Koj0wmLg0
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:42:14 pm by riarcher »
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Pdwight

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 01:20:47 pm »
I appreciate this so much folks, I am going to be building some arrows soon (in better weather) and need to serve two strings, I have a serving jig but have never done this before.

Again I really appreciate the help.

Dwight

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 12:20:18 pm »
2 simple loops ( kind of like a half hitch), snip it and glue it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!