Author Topic: I need knapping help and advice please  (Read 2302 times)

Offline paulc

I need knapping help and advice please
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:46:27 pm »
Hey Everyone, not sure if this is going to work but I have attempted to attached a pic of two "points" I have made.  

The point on the right is not finished yet but it is obviously from a slab i got off ebay.  By the time I get it finished I wonder if it will be too small for deer?  The other point I made from a spall that I knocked off some obsidian I got also off ebay.  It is almost finished as I don't know how to get it any thinner.  Any suggestions on getting it thinner but not smaller?

I really want to be able to make points using nothing more than hammer stones and antler points but I found that I could only get so far with my tine.  I made a lot more progress when I switched to using the piece of copper.  How fine can you work a point using just antler?  Am I just not being careful enough?  I know zip about knapping, not sure I even understand creating platforms...Anyway, I am just looking for feed back and advice.  Should I be sharpening my antler for doing finer work?  TIA.  I will attempt to attach a second pic in a minute.  Paul C outside of S'nah, GA

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline paulc

Re: I need knapping help and advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:47:29 pm »
2nd pic

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:56:18 pm »
best advice i can give is check out flint knappingtips on youtube. also paleomanjims vids. explining the process would just be more confusing . and its easier to learn when you see it being done.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 02:29:50 pm »
Jamie hit the nail on the head!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:34:16 pm »
yup, keep looking for tips on youtube. next its just takes lots of practice.  try different tools and techniques. the only way to get it thinner is to get longer flakes. look up more info on making platforms and getting your off-centerline right. also a flaker is more for just setting up platforms and final shaping. percussion is what is going to make them thin. I am with you, i only like to use aboriginal tools, i dont own any copper tools.  it takes some more practice. just keep your tines sharp. i have 4 tines for different jobs, a thick one for grinding and pushing platforms, a sharper one for final shaping only, and nice sharp pointed one for edge work and sharpening only and finally a very thin one that i use to notch, i usually sharpen it after each notch..
      if you want to stick with abo tools, hammerstones are good but you can one do so much with one, i really started improving once i made a couple larger billets out of antler. deer antler isnt typically big enough for billets, try elk or  moose.
      I still want to figure out how to be better with aboriginal tools, but i guess thats how everyone thinks, you always want to be better no matter what tools you use.  
when i started i was happy if i could make something that looked like an old original point. as for making points for hunting, its gonna take some practice. i have had some experience in the shooting deer with stone category, you would be surprised how little penetration you will get from a thicker point. i tested some bulkier points on a dead deer i shot with a steel broadhead.  and to be honest they bounced off the hide at 10 yards with a 60# bow.  they gotta be thin and sharp. i certainly dont want to discourage you, instead i hope it encourages you to keep getting better.
    here is some pics of all aboriginal points that i think would be acceptable for hunting.  I knapped these with deer and elk antler only. keep on chippin. you got a good start- Ryan

Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline StevenT

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 03:31:48 pm »
What they said....and

There is a wealth of information right here in the Flintnapping section. Just go back through the old post and you will find days worth of reading and help. Links to just about anything you want to know. And more threads for beginners than you can watch in a week.

And from a personal,  been there done that note..... I would not suggest starting on slabs as a beginner. Nothing wrong with slabs, they have their purpose. However as a beginner you will know have the foundation and understanding of how to handle them. This is even more true if you are starting out trying to learn knapping using ABO tools. A very common suggestion is for a beginner to start with glass material. I would suggest getting ahold of some good rock and learning with it. Other than that the name of the game is practice, cuss, practice, cuss some more and go back to step one, practice.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:53:17 pm »

Ditto, to all that was said, and shown.  Paleojim, has a section on slabs, on you tube. ;)

Wayne