Author Topic: twist  (Read 2653 times)

Offline kerryb

twist
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:22:26 am »
How much twist can you take out , Is this stave beyond help.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Milan Mo

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: twist
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:24:38 am »
wow thats a lot! haha I think you should be able to take most of it out though....should make a nice flatbow if you do
GBR!

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:37:20 am »
Man that is a lot of twist lol. i usually put splits like that into my " avoid as long as possible pile" ;D  lol  You might be able to straighten most of it out but its gonna take some work. i say if you have other good wood readily available then just put that one off. i usually wont mess with splits that have more than a 45 degree twist. but it all depends on your determination i suppose 8) ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:53:28 am »
Take the stave down to floor tiller stage. From there you can straighten a little at a time until you can clamp it up a form for final straightening.  I would use dry heat and a little olive oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:41:07 am »
I would do as Pat said, you probably won't get it all the first time ,it may take 3 or 4 times but most you can take out with dry heat, How old is the wood,if it is green you can clamp it to something
flat till it dries and get some out .If it is green and you put much heat on it ,it will probably check the back as you heat the belly.You may want to steam it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline saic749

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:54:06 am »
Another option that i`d rather suggest would be to saw the stave into the half and work them to billets. Then you`ll able to put the twisted parts into the splice area.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:56:53 am »
Rough it out and floor tiller it. Be sure you follow the longitudinal grain when laying it out. Don't go for the best fit. The see how much prop twist. You amy be pleasantly surprised. Take a look at Aerobow. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/aerobow.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline yazoo

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 12:37:44 pm »
that amount of twist is no problem,,,your problem is the wood it self  than first inch or so of the wood under the wood is no good,,it must be taken down to the good wood that is toward the core of stave, the wood under the bark has to much earlywood,,and could never take the strain of taking the twist out,,,,I will try to find a stave here that twisted and add it to my osage demo in the how to section,,  mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline acker

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 03:50:58 pm »
Another option that i`d rather suggest would be to saw the stave into the half and work them to billets. Then you`ll able to put the twisted parts into the splice area.
Yes , thats the way I would do it as well.
Easier, faster, and you are able to put a bit of reflex into the limbs.

acker

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 04:05:18 pm »
 :o...Man you can get that twist out no problem..however I agree with yazoo...that wood is not worth the time..too much early wood to latewood ration..not even worth backing IMO.....but as twist no problem..I wouldn't put heat to it unless it is very dry like Pat suggested...only if its real dry...if its wet use steam....I'd find another piece of wood though....gut

Offline kerryb

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:36 pm »
thanks for all the replies, i think i will put it on the back burner for awhile. thanks again everyone.  Kerry
Milan Mo