Author Topic: 2nd bow  (Read 2657 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
2nd bow
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:31:04 pm »
 Here is the 2nd bow I've made. It's a red oak 60" n2n 1.5" tapering to a point at the tips.33#@23" Handle is poplar.  I made it for my daughter, who is in the pic. I tillered the bottom a little more than the top, but the pic makes it look distorted. It's in the shop drying after I put the Tru-Oil on. I'll put more pics up as soon as I can get her to down load them from the camera. Gonna start on 2 others this week. A maple backed walnut and a 1/4 saw ash.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:01:16 am by hillbilly61 »
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 2nd bow
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 06:54:21 am »
Looks good,she should love that,on the next one you may want to get it bending a little more toward the fads,you will get longer life and less set if you use more of the limb. Wished my second looked as good. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:34:19 am »
I agree with Pappy... your bow is very whip tillered. Try and get the fades working more next time. It'll shoot light arrows with no hand shock, however... not a bad second bow!! Keep going.

half eye

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:56:11 am »
She looks good holding that bow, good for you. My granddaughter loves to work wood with "papa". Everybody looks like they are having fun, and learning along the way.....it dont get any better my friend.
Rich

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:08:29 pm »
Howdy HBilly,

Yes, what they said...

Before you start on that Maple backed Walnut, start another Red Oak board.    On that one, get the tiller bending more coming out of the fades and less near the tips.  That way, you'll have much more of each limb doing work.

Great job otherwise.  It looks like you're well on your way to makin' some really fine bows.

Enjoy,
Canoe

P.S.  Have a look at the tiller on this bow...
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,18372.0.html
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:15:02 pm by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:00:24 pm »
I'd shorten the handle length to start with. Fun bow, though.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:01:25 pm »
Very nice and I agree that the bend needs to bend at the end of the fades. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:37:32 pm »
Thanks guys. That is what I did with the first bow :(  If I'm taking this right I pretty much have the limbs bending just about opposite of what they need to be? ??? Would it be possable to shorten this one and start it bending at the fades? Or should I just get a new board and start over? Or just keep getting boards till I get it right? :D

Lombard

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:58:15 pm »
Hillbilly61, be of good cheer sir. Every bad bow, or broken one I've made is just the excuse needed to make another. I have made some whip tillered, and they were still fun to shoot, and I learn from each one.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:08:02 pm »
 Thanks Lombard. My daughter loves it and I ain't gonna tell her no diff. I'll just start another one and give it to her too, if she wants ;D Lowes will be a stop for me tomarrow.

Forgot one thing. Used drywall mesh backing on this one, and will never do it again >:( Liked the burlap backing. Thanks to jawge for suggesting that one.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 01:25:16 am »
Good Job!!!