Author Topic: Primitive newbie  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Scott Gray

Primitive newbie
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:48:12 am »
Howdy all, my name is Scott Gray. Been shooting recurves and longbow bows for 25+ years. Started with recurves, now longbows but, after looking at a stack of osage staves and bow blanks at the All South Archery Pre Spring Arrow Fling I got the itch to try shooting primitive. I currently shoot a BlackCreek Banshee hybrid longbow. I also own a Howard Hill Big5 that I shot at the All South Archery shoot for the first time. Did pretty good with it too....200 out of 250 points. It took a few shots to learn the trajectory but once i got the hang of it the bow shot fine.

I probably won't be able to make my own bow for awhile though. 3-D tournements have started and it seems that my wife(who also shoots) and i are either shooting a tournement or are keeping our new and only grandchild Asher on the weekends we won't be shooting. God, I love that little boy  ;D He is 4 months old and I am already telling him that I will be getting him his own bow and talking to him about hunting......He is a good listener. I might be able to get a bow made at the Howard Hill SE Classic in June seeing that Mike McGuire is gonna be set up there. Hopefully we can get the range set up early and I can get Mike to work with me on the bow. In the meantime I am getting cane shafts for arrows and am gleaning a wealth of information from this site. Heck, I'll probably see if Bill Skinner might show me a thing or 200 about knapping next weekend. Hey Bill....Hint,Hint.
Semper Fi

Offline Keenan

Re: Primitive newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:17:55 am »
 Welcome Scott, don't be afraid to dive in and get your feet wet, that is how we learn.  Ask what ever questions you have and start carving some wood, I promised it will be a journey that will bring hours of pleasure.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 10:34:18 am »
 Good to have another beginner like myself :D Heck. Try working on one after work a few times a week ;) You' be surprised at how quick it goes. I bought an Osage stave at the Pre Spring too and just got the courage up to start it yesterday ;) Hope to have it close to tillered today after Church. I guess what I'm trying to say is just jump in feet first. Allot of good help here and they don't mind sharing ;). Good luck.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 11:18:28 am »
Another one about to be indoctrinated to the sweet addiction. Scott, I think you're on the right track with Mike, and Bill is a great teacher to guide your hand at napping. I hope to make the Howard Hill Classic as well.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:20:47 am »
Good morning, Scott. Welcome to the PA forum. There is not time like the present to get started. My site may help. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:49:39 am »
Welcome Scott. Lots of good folks here to help you get started and to assist you through this addiction.  ;)  Do check out George's site. Lots of good, useful info there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 12:02:43 pm »
Welcome aboard, Scott. No better place than here for people with our addiction. :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:07:35 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 12:38:10 pm »
Welcome to the brotherhood!
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

HatchA

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 01:06:02 pm »
Hey Scott,  gotta echo Keenan, Hill'61 and the rest of the guys when they say jump in at the deep end and experiment!  Learning through trial and error is a great thing!

Offline Scott Gray

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 01:41:41 pm »
Great site George!!!!! I appreciate the words of encouragement fellas.

hillbilly61 you did what I should of done. You bought a stave I messed up and left without one. :-[ I got too busy pulling targets and packing things up. Until I can get a piece to work I'll read up on all that I can.
Semper Fi

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 04:01:50 pm »
Scott Go to George's web site and take a look at the board bow build along. Lowes has a board you can use for about $6 TiteBond III $5 and some 2 yards of burlap $8 Less than $20 and you can practice and build a board bow. Then when ya get to the ASTB spring rondevue' or the Howard Hill shoot, grab an Osage stave
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Scott Gray

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 05:15:33 pm »
hillbilly61 I think you have been reading my mind!!!!!! I thought the same thing.
Semper Fi

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »
  There you go, Scott, welcome to the addiction.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Postman

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 06:48:03 pm »
Welcome - congrats on the grandbaby - before ya know it, you'll be making Asher a little bow ;)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 07:02:26 pm »
welcome Scott...glad to see a new face...grab a cup of coffee and sit back and lets go for a ride on the primitive side...john