Author Topic: Osage board question  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Osage board question
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:44:04 am »
How much grain violation can you get away with if you are making a Reflex Deflex designed bow Bamboo backed...around 66 inches pulling 50 or so lbs at 28 inches?  My hardwood just got some Sage in and I was looking through it and really dont want to spend the moo-la on it if I am gonna have to chase a ring and waste most of the wood.  If I am gonna spend 50 dollars on the board I wanna be able to at least get 4 to 6 bows out of it.  it is a 1 inch thick x 8 inches wide x 8 foot long board.  There are some grain run off on the sides and a few pin knots here and there, my main concern is the side grain run off. What can you get away with and still have a good bow?  thanks guys.   :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage board question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:42:45 pm »
Josh, With the stresses that a R/D bow has I'd want as good of belly slat as I could get. You may get away with some run offs but not too severe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:47:19 pm »
What Pat said.. ;)..

Offline 0209

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:51:05 pm »
I think you should be fine with purchasing that even though there is run off.  But your best bet would be to back it with something, like bamboo as you said.  The stresses of tension would be placed on the boo instead of the sage and the run off shouldn't matter too much.
I'm definitely not the best person to be asking advice, but in my experiences you should be fine with that plan.  I mean think about it, you can make a red oak board bow with minimal grain run off, unbacked around 50 lbs.  And in my opinion, osage is a far superior wood to red oak.  Just a thought.
-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 02:02:26 pm »
I have built BBO bows that had 100% runoff in a couple of feet. If you back it you can get away with a lot. That said, I could buy the best they have.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah