Author Topic: 2 pcs. of osage for a beginner  (Read 2683 times)

Offline riarcher

2 pcs. of osage for a beginner
« on: March 05, 2010, 11:07:57 am »
Have to do it. You guys make such beautiful bows, I've GOT to try it myself.
First was studying sites like this.
Also ordered a set of TBB from Horsefeathers (w/ PA subscription  :D)
I've tons of sugar maple around for practicing, but my heart lies with osage.
"Won" 2 pcs. of Ebay green ossage for next winter's projects (hopefully I'll know something by then).

First piece; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330409016895&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Thought it may work for an attempt of a pyramid bow? First I assume is strip the bark and seal. Then hang it in the shed to dry for the summer.

Second piece;  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330409962056&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Hope I'm seeing a ELB in there somewhere? I definately expect to learn how to chase rings on this one! With the length my thoughts are, if I need to cut down a bit because I really miss the poundage, I may still have a decent lenght when done.  ::) I'm not sure if this one should be debarked or not.
I expect both to be sacrificial lambs to the bow gods.  ;)

Hind sight always being 20/20, a concern popped up (after the "win"). Generally I see osage on Ebay going for $50-100 for a stave with several bids. The first one was me and one other guy, the second I was the only bidder. Is something wrong? Folks seeing something I'm not about why these may not make a bow or something? I'm a bit confused on why I was basicly the only bidder on these. Definately was not luck, because all I have is bad luck.  ::)

Any thoughts on these?
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: 2 pcs. of osage for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:50:33 am »
My site has stuff too. I will soon be putting up an osage buildalong. But it will take some time. You could always start with a red oak board bow. Check my site.
Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:32:59 pm »
From what I can see it looks pretty good,the ratio from winter to summer don't look bad either
and the rings look very chaseable. Good luck and going a little long to start is a pretty good idea till you get the fill of it.You can debark it now if you like but be sure if you do to take not only the bark but also the sap wood.You don't necessarily have to chase a ring but get all the sap wood off and seal the back with something.You can use ploy or I use cheap carpenters glue watered down. Good
luck and welcome. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline riarcher

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:16:50 pm »
George, believe me, I've been to your site many times. Big influence on going ahead with this.
Thought about board bows. Just thinking homegrown cut maple would give me enough starting benefits(? :D) to begin with. (and it's free  ;))

Pappy, thanks. Okay, off with the bark & sap wood. I know it's got to be easier green than seasoned. Nothing wrong with that. Looking for what I thought would be easy to chase rings was pondered too when I started looking.

Figure I'll mess up a few times. Homefully most of the mistakes will be experienced with the maple. Besides, maple smoked duck and such isn't bad. At least it'll get used even if they do snap.  :o

Thanks guys.
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline tombo

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 07:18:03 pm »
riarcher - If I were you, I'd be working on other pieces of wood now while those dry! The more you make the better...always. hedge is great but there is other real good bow wood. My fave is hackberry, not osage.
Tom

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 07:30:51 pm »
ri, I'm glad. Thanks. Nice to hear.  You can rough out the maple and actually get it bending; it will dry faster. While waiting you can try board bows. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 07:35:03 pm »
yup,do as jawge suggested
rought themout,get them bending and let them dry
nothing wrong with board bows

for me,i can tiller them better than a stave
dont know why,just can
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd