Author Topic: Bird Points  (Read 1687 times)

Offline bushman

Bird Points
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:39:29 am »
Here is a picture of the two little Bird points (I think I might use them as dart points though) I made from some flakes today, they aren’t that great but they would do the job. I don’t have a digital camera so I had to place the points in the scanner to get a picture of them on here so its not that great of a picture.

I’m not sure what the black one is, its just a rock I found in the field and it looked like it had some flakes removed from it at one time. The other one is made out of agate. Neither of the rocks are heat treaded. Man was that agate hard, it also has all these little white lines runnin throw it ever which way that would make the flakes not come of very nicely. I’m not sure if it was me or just those two rocks weren’t the best but no matter what I did I couldn’t get very long flacks off of them. I tried percussions flaking with a hammer stone at first when I was trin to turn the originally rocks into bi faces. Those 2 points were the only 2 good usable flakes I got. The rest were ether really small chips, or pieces about the size of a thumbnail and about ¼ inch thick at the thickest and uneven in thickness. And when they broke out they left ridges in the originally rock and the flakes also had ridges on them. Is it the way I was hittin the rock or is it just poor rock? I tried pressure flakin with a piece of deer leg bone that I pointed on one end. A good flake barely went 1/8th of the width of the points, but even those 2 flakes had a few ridges on them that I couldn’t get out of them. Would that cause the flakes not to travel very far across them? How do you normally remove a ridge from a flake that you are workin on?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Bird Points
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 06:17:20 pm »
those look good considering how tough the stuff is. if by ridge you mean step, it can be done with some material but most of the time the flake will only travel right to the step and stop. if its a ridge (kinda like a crown) you can go past it by changing the angle of the flake. instead of pushing the flake towards the other side , push it at an angle towards the back of the point. this will allow the flake to travel over the ridge. again good job those little points drive me nuts.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:51:34 pm »
very cool bird points  8)

i canr make them that small,cant hold them
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bushman

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:03:21 am »
Thanks jamie and sailordad. I’m not up on all the Knappin terminology. Is there anyway to make your core rock stop from forming steps every time a flake comes off of it? I wanted to use the agate core as a hand axe. But if it keeps makin steps there is no way I can get it to the right shape.
Bushman