Author Topic: Locust/Hick Lam Taper Q  (Read 1456 times)

PeteDavis

Locust/Hick Lam Taper Q
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:17:13 am »
Getting ready to glue up a laminated kit. Starting off, I have a black locust board, perfectly quarter sawn and dry, 2" x 3/4" x 72". I have a quarter sawn hickory backing strip, I plan to plane to under 1/8" that is also 2" w.

What is a safe, conservative starting taper for my locust core? I am thinking 11/16ths at the fades, tapered to 7/16" at the tips. I want to taper the cores on a table saw prior to glue up. And then maybe glue some reflex into the handle area. Then cut my outlines. I'd rather have to scrape off belly wood than take off too much before I start.

Do those tapers sound safe? Should they be thicker?

PD
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:26:29 am by PeteDavis »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Locust/Hick Lam Taper Q
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:37:54 am »
Thats actualy pretty thick Pete.  I usualy start at about 7/16 to 1/2" @ the fades and taper down to 5/16 at the tips. Its going to be tough to get a acurite taper on the table saw though. I'd recomend a jointer or even a hand held planer like they sell @ harbor freight tools for $60.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

PeteDavis

Re: Locust/Hick Lam Taper Q
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:12:31 pm »

Thanks, doing the elm kit right now.

Appreciate the locust guidelines. I can set up a pretty accurate taper jig in the tablesaw. I also have a power plane.

Is there more advantage, to tillering the full thickness from both sides to get a diamond belly you can then round off? As opposed to flat on the locust. I wonder if that might be a hedge against fretting?

PD