Author Topic: helical vs. straight fletching  (Read 20278 times)

Offline alex b

helical vs. straight fletching
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:56:32 pm »

hi i was just wondering what the advantages and disadvantages each of these have. any difference
      in arrow flight? any difference in penetration?

thanks

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: helical vs. straight fletching
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:33:28 am »
...seems like helical fletched arrows would spin more times in flight which would make the arrow fly straighter/better for alot further... 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:03:47 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:05 am »
I have always used a straight fletch with an offset. Helical does spin the arrow faster so the arrow trues faster but they can be slower and noisier. Both work well. Years ago a friend gave me a JoJan multi-fletch with straight clamps. That's why I use them and like straight fletch.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:12:00 am »
I'm really thinking about getting a fletching jig.  What do you mean by an offset pat?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:30:37 am »
aero86, i have a super crappy cheap plastic one. i dont actually use it for fletching cuz cane aint exactly a flat surface to glue to. it does, however, comein handy for marking where your feathers need to be so you get them spaced evenly.

sorry, not trying to change the topic.  :-X

as far as the fletches go, im not sure of the difference between offset and helical, but i would believe that straight fletches would be faster and quieter, but anything that adds spin would be more accurate.
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:17:34 am »
With a straight fletch jig you can set the clamp so the feather is angled either to the right or left or straight in line with the shaft. I usually add about a 1/8" off set when I fletch.(appropriate offset for left or right wing feathers)
   Even with the straight fletch set perfectly straight an arrow will spin in flight because of the lay of the feather. With some off set it will spin more and with a helical even more. When I do use helical I usually use smaller feathers(5" shields or parabolic). For straight fletch I use either a 5 1/2" high back shield cut or my own fletch design.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:17:33 pm »
haha, recurve, youve got my number on that cane, huh?  haha.

thanks pat, i kinda thought that, but wasnt sure.  guess ill just stick with trying that cardboard with 3 slits cut in it jig
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 04:02:50 pm »
You could make a jig like this guy (about a minute into it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pffhKIuuQX8&feature=related

From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 04:59:40 pm »
 I like to use helical for 3-D Shoots because it straightens up real quick and is good shooting through tight foliage. Most of my hunting arrows are straight with an off-set. The are quieter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline markinengland

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 06:26:30 pm »
Personally I like helical, done either by hand or with a jig. They seem to straighten up quicker, be more forgiving of a shaft that isn't precisely straight and for me just more accurate or likely to go where I am looking.

I have found that noise seems to be more due to the shape of the rear of the fletch rather than whether they are straight, offset or helical. Perhaps people with stronger faster bows than I use may get more noise than I get?

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 07:34:33 pm »
ive noticed the noise on mine, and they arent straight, slightly helical

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 09:40:22 pm »
aero86, yup. your first in line. went cane-sampling today. gunna put up a post in a sec.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 09:46:45 pm »
  ;D  Really, it's probbally because straight, with a slight offset, is easier to glue up. And if your arrows are tuned worth a crap, they will fly, EXCELLANT. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 09:52:30 pm »
I use a cheap jig to set the feather in place with a small amount of glue then I tie it on with sinew or thread. I know it's cheating but it works.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Aries

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 12:28:53 am »
You could make a jig like this guy (about a minute into it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pffhKIuuQX8&feature=related

thats a pretty neat little jig, prolly wouldnt be to complicated to make one. what do you think you could use for the clamp??
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow