Author Topic: Anybody tried a Bamboo Backed Bloodwood???  (Read 8202 times)

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Anybody tried a Bamboo Backed Bloodwood???
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:49:01 pm »
I picked up an extremely straight grained piece of bloodwood and decided instead of making accent strips with it, I'd try it as a bow. I've never heard of anyone using it as a core wood, but that's the fun of this hobby, isn't it? I got it all glued up and tillered out to 55# @ 24" (shooting for 55-60# @ 29") This bow will be for my elk hunting buddy, if it holds together. I didn't put a whole lot of R/D in it but it is holding all that I did put in it, so far. I've got to head to work tonight so no pictures for now. I'll try to post some tomorrow. Just wanted to know what ya'll thought of bloodwood.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Anybody tried a Bamboo Backed Bloodwood???
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:59:03 pm »
I think I saw a tri-lam bow with bloodwood as the core that Gordon made a while back. If you search "bloodwood" in the bows forum you can search through and find it. I forget what the belly wood was.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »
Thanks, but it is a tri lam and mine is just bamboo backed bloodwood. Just wondering.
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:56:10 pm »
 I believe Marc has blown up a few. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:02:43 pm »
I recently handled a Boo backed bloodwood bow that John Strunk built. It was a beautiful bow.
Gordon

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:09:57 pm »
I believe Marc has blown up a few. ::)

Thanks Eddie, that's reassuring. :P

Gordon, if it holds together it'll be a nice looker for sure. I'm sure not as nice as John's but I love the looks of bloodwood.

Offline Aries

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:15:13 pm »
Ya i think ive seen an osage boo blood wood R/D on here before it was pretty awesome. not sure who made it Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline saic749

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:19:20 am »
Bloodwood does great under bamboo. From what i´ve read, it seems to be pretty similar to ipe in performance.
The wood is very hard, oily and it is really good under compression!

Offline AllanM

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 01:32:56 pm »
In the UK bowyer Pip Bickerstaffe uses bloodwood as a core wood. I have a single growth ring hickory/bloodwood/greenheart belly english longbow made by him. It's awsome, very fast cast. I have a fairly large collection of bows and this by far the best longbow I have.
I've got a luverly bunch of coconuts

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »
    The only successful Bloodwood bows I have had were elb type with not much strain on them. The grain on blood wood can be very squirrley and just blow out. Beautiful wood but more trouble than it is worth if you ask me. I have tried at least a dozen r/d and even straight slightly reflexed bows and they all blew out. I did see a beauty on here that was successful and had me wanting to try another one.. Steve

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 09:23:20 pm »
Thanks guys.

Steve, the grain on this particular board is why I decided to use it as a core. It is the straightest grained bloodwood I have ever seen.

Offline horseapple

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 03:12:15 pm »
John, I've built lots of boo backed bloodwood bows, its one of my favorite woods, second to osage when backing.  if the wood has been kiln dried it will most likely always hold all of its reflex, make sure and use urac for the glue.

JD

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 05:32:44 pm »
A friend of mine has one of JD's boo backed bloodwood bows and it is impressive.
Gordon

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 12:29:26 am »
Thanks JD. Tommy just told me you had built several. I've got it almost finished and she is bending real nice. I think it'll make a bow. I'll be posting pics soon. I've been working nights this week and I'm all screwed up on my time.

Gordon, all of JD's bows are impressive.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 01:57:34 am »
Gordon, all of JD's bows are impressive.

I've carefully examined every inch of that bow and I don't doubt what you say for a moment. It's top-notch work and very inspiring.
Gordon