Author Topic: pinch grip or 3 fingers  (Read 9667 times)

Offline Crash

pinch grip or 3 fingers
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:58:54 am »
Was meandering through posts and noticed people mentioning both ways to shoot. Are there advantages to shooting a pinch grip like the Native Americans?
I know everything, just not all at the same time...

Offline aznboi3644

Re: pinch grip or 3 fingers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 03:01:23 am »
I started shooting with a pinch grip and the two finger pinch grip works for me for 40lbs and under while above that I have to use the three finger pinch grip.

for flight shooting I use the regular two under one over grip.

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 03:59:27 am »
I find three under more accurate than anything
GBR!

HatchA

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:07:50 am »
I find three under more accurate than anything

I've heard that said by a lot of archers too.  Some have shot for years in the split-fingered style, then tried three-under and their accuracy has improved immensely.  Never tried it, personally (...yet ;)) but if it works, all the better :)

Does the bow need to be "set up" for split or three under shooting?  What I mean is, does the nocking point need to move slightly or does one limb need to be more positively tillered because of the change in pulling fulcrum on the string?  (not sure if I explained that properly  :-\)

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:02:34 pm »
Kyle are you shooting 3 fingers under instinctively or are you using the "barreling" technique by sighting down the arrow ?
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 12:11:54 pm »
I think for most folks a pinch grip doesn't give enough hold strength or control over 35#to 40# draw. A standard Mediterranean draw(2 fingers under and 1 over the arrow) or the 3 under give them the needed control for heavier, hunting weight bows. As far as the standard Mediterranean grip or 3 under, a lot of it has to do with the style of shooting they do. If you are using your arrow as a reference point in your aiming the three under puts the arrow closer to your eye and allows for more accurate shooting. I shoot instinctively and a standard Mediterranean grip works best for me. When I shoot I don't see my bow or arrows(conscientiously) and the standard style of release works well for me. I also nock over the nock point and a 3 under would give me less control of the arrow while drawing.
  There are adjustments with tiller and nock point placement when changing from the standard Mediterranean release to a 3 under.  
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Frode

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 03:34:19 pm »
I was wondering about this as well.  Does anyone have pics of the various grips.  I don't think I've seen the pinch grip done.
Thanks,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 04:46:35 pm »
Its in the book...Cherokee Bows and Arrows.

jessepeltan

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:10:27 pm »
How about a thumbring?  I find the thumb draw very accurate and I can pull 90# with it.  I don't know how much my max is with it though because 90#@32 is my heaviest bow.

Offline Crash

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 02:12:27 am »
So what does a pinch grip do for you then? any benefit?
I know everything, just not all at the same time...

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 02:24:57 am »
Frode,

If you can get hold of a copy of Alf Webb's Archaeology of Archery he shows a number of different pinch grips on page 44.

Craig

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 04:56:17 am »
Bent Rig it all depends on the bow I shoot...my draw length is 28-29" so if I am shooting a bow with that draw length I sight down the arrow...on my short recurve which i only pull to 26-27" I shoot instinctivly....idk im new to archery too so its kind of hard for me to explain...I do notice however that when I shoot 2 below and 1 above i tend to have a slower release and interference because of my finger on top of the arrow...3 fingers below feels more natural to me

-Kyler
GBR!