Author Topic: I need a little help please...update...better photo qality...:))  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: I need a little help please...update...better photo qality...:))
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 03:44:50 pm »
Dude that is such an awesome bow.  I really like how you saved it.  The tiller looks perfect.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 11:37:42 pm »
Oh no! I just noticed you cut the back of the bow at the nocks. That could be a problem. It is a pretty deep cut too. You may want to consider doing an overlay of some sort. I'd hate to see that break at the tips at full draw. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline akila

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 04:24:14 am »
mmmm....i did not cut the back of the bow.....the bow have side noks....its only a side  cut thats all.. the grove dosent go to the back also...only lateral grove's.....

Here is a picture, with the other side of the nok.....u can see the back is not cut......it is made  exactly like u will do self nok's on a bow,,,but this one have side nok-s....i hope  he will be fine...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:32:48 am by akila »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
good job, man...i see why you put the hemp wrapping on, too:  those long belly cracks are scary!   ah, yew...
Those long black belly marks are possibly the pithy centre of the stave?... in which case it's a brilliant piece of work to make a bow from such as small and dodgy limb.
Nice bow
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline akila

good job, man...i see why you put the hemp wrapping on, too:  those long belly cracks are scary!   ah, yew...
Those long black belly marks are possibly the pithy centre of the stave?... in which case it's a brilliant piece of work to make a bow from such as small and dodgy limb.
Nice bow
Del
Yess...its the middle of the stave....it wass a smaal branch....3" diameter..

Offline Gordon

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 02:40:18 pm »
You did a splendid job turning that challenging piece of wood into such a nice bow. I was worried about the nocks also until I saw they were side nocks - those are really well done.
Gordon

Offline johnny

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 04:21:18 pm »
Hi

Akila, you worked very quickly ... I know that wood has reached Monday .... you already have a good bow made of it ... sorry for those cracks, I hope its not my fault ... anyway, look great with those wraps .... and tiller is excellent .... I am very glad that you make a bow of this wood, I do not think I would be able ...

Glad I could help, although the wood was not even that good ...
I am curious how it would shoot at distance ... I guess for shot on target is very comfortable ...

what to say more .... congratulations ;)

Ionut... :)

Offline akila

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 04:44:42 pm »
Thks alot  Ionut....it dosent matter, that the wood wass not perfect....im just glad i could save him.....it would have been a shame to waste a piece of yew....specialy whenn it is so dificult to find it  in our country ;D...im waiting to see your bow, made from the other half... ;)

radius

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 06:50:10 am »
where are you from, Akila?  What kind of yew is it?

Offline akila

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 08:03:36 pm »
Radius  im from Romania......and its verry rare here...wi have a natural reservation here in romania, but its protected by the law, and  u cant go in there and cut yew , so its realy dificult to find a good piece of yew arrounde here.....this is why i wass so happy to save this piece, and to make a bow out of her....

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 01:22:38 pm »
Here's a very fine bow that is bookmarked under March Self Bows. Nice job on a yew challenge, Akila!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday