Author Topic: First time bow making teacher  (Read 5034 times)

Grunt

First time bow making teacher
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:20:30 pm »
Taught my first time bow making workshop in the last few days. Bud, our mail man, brought his friend David over to see the bows I have been making. Bud is kind of taking care of David cause David has throat cancer. They grew up together. David is an accomplished knifesmith and a life long hunter and fisherman. The two of them have been trying to build bows for the past four years and they have broken about twenty. I happened to have two re/de's BBI glued up with overlays on ready to tiller when they came over. One thing led to another and I agreed to lead David through the making process with one of my glue ups. Five hours later  David was shooting his new bow. I really felt good about this workshop because David is a good fellow who is pretty sick and he now has the goal of killing a deer next bow season. He is looking forward to something besides cancer treatment.
My reward is the satisfaction of helping another old man, a fine custom knife, permanent permission to flyfish 1/4 mile of private trophy water, and half a deer.
 Here are some shots. The bow pulls 50# at 26"  and David is going to do all the finish work.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: First time bow making teacher
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:35:50 pm »
That's pretty nice of you, Grunt. I pray David is healed of his cancer. Nice bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:00:56 pm »
great story. ;)

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:13:49 pm »
That's great, Grunt - I hope your friend gets well and gets ya that half a deer!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 09:47:06 pm »
Your a good person and a fine teacher , David's  bow looks great - my prayers go out for him ! 8)
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 09:48:10 pm »
karma's a great thing!

you're a good man!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:53:56 pm »
Very Cool Grunt. If you want to tell them fellers to come with you to my place in March. He will have a chance to practice on the range.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline sulphur

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:36:12 pm »
people helping people!  thats what its all about.

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:39 pm »
Great story. Thanks for sharing. This is definitely in keeping the "Primitive spirit" folks have around here.  :)
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 11:07:14 pm »
Very nice thing you did, Grunt... Hope he gets a biggun this season!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Grunt

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:22:18 pm »
Very Cool Grunt. If you want to tell them fellers to come with you to my place in March. He will have a chance to practice on the range.

Nugget, I've talked to him about your doin's. we'll see how he feels .

Thanks for the kind words guys. What I've found after 63 winters is that what goes around comes around.
Semper Fi,

Offline kerryb

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 12:59:45 am »
what a great story, thanks for sharing.
Milan Mo

Grunt

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 05:58:34 pm »
The guy came over today and brought my knife that he just finished. High carbon steel and it fits my hand like a glove.  I think I got a good trade. It's an all around do anything knife.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:02:06 pm by Grunt »

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 06:05:02 pm »
Grunt, that's really nice of you, you are a generous guy I know! - hey post a picture of the knife!

PS: strange...when I posted I couldn't see the pictures of the knife...time warb...I guess...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:19:09 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 06:56:10 pm »
Sweet bow, sweet knife. Great story...if we can help eachother along the way, that's all we can ask.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.