Author Topic: take down bows  (Read 2824 times)

Offline luke the drifter

take down bows
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:54:31 am »
been wanting to make a take down bow using the sleeve technique.  would i have to use a set screw or some other means of holding the limbs in place?  would any of this be necessary if the bow was strung? would the string pressure(?) be enough to hold them in place anyway?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: take down bows
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:07:46 am »
They are a pretty tight fit, no set screw necessary. Do a search, Pappy made one using the metal sleeve, and there is a buildalong making your own FG sleeve.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 11:10:30 am »
I glue them up .Just try and get a good tight fit before you glue them. Be very gentle with the sleeves also before they are glued,if you warp them they don't slide together and back apart
easy like they should.I have used tt3 and 2 part epoxy for glue.Just be sure to work fast getting the where you want them if you use epoxy ,when you start to put them on.go on with it and don't slow or stop till it is where you want it to be.
   Pappy
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:26:59 pm »
The one I did I used Pappy's buildalong.  I think I even used the same brand two part epoxy... It turned out great!  Very tight fit for the wood in the brass sleeves and very tight fit for the brass inside the steel sleeve  too.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 02:55:32 pm »
pappy,

i have read and looked at your build-a-long and was wondering if it would be just a well to stick with the rounded handle.  i was lucky enough to find a piece of what i guess is a metal pole from a chain linked fence at the local junk yard-for a dollar i might add-that is a frog's hair from allowing a one inch copper coupling from fitting very well and tight.  i think i will try that and see how it works out.  i am wanting to take this bow apart when not in use.  is that the basic idea of a take-down bow?  would the sleeve need to remain a permanant fixture to one of the bow limbs? :) 8)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 04:17:24 pm »
would the sleeve need to remain a permanant fixture to one of the bow limbs? :) 8)
That keeps it from getting lost.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 07:02:39 am »
Yes the outer sleeve is permanent on the top limb and slips on and off the bottom,you just have to be careful to have a pretty tight fit or it will make noise.If you didn't want to take it down I guess you just glue it up ridged and us the pipe like a splice.I have a pair of snaky billits I plan on using and outer shell of one of my old sleeves to put them together and not take down.Don't have a lot of confidence in the billits so don't want to go to the trouble or expense in putting on a new sleeve. Good luck. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good