Author Topic: NC Elm tree?  (Read 2347 times)

Offline nclonghunter

NC Elm tree?
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:20:35 pm »
Whats the best identification for an "elm tree" in NC, this time of year? No leaves on yet. I would like to find some and get a couple staves in the works.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: NC Elm tree?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:23:25 pm »
Bark, twigs and buds. The overall shape of the tree also if it is out in the open.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:20:43 pm »
Winged elm is easy to pick out this time of year because it has corky wings on the twigs. Sweetgum does also, but the elm is a lot twiggier with more and smaller twigs.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:34:02 pm »
I have searched for the winged elm but have only found sweetgum...I have also found some Ironwood or HHB and found it to have very deep furrows with waves and twists, not suitable for a bow.

I suppose the Elms are only found along creeks, not on the ridges. Does the bark look similar to another tree? I can identify a lot of trees but have never had contact with the elm, that I know of.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:03:14 am »
In the areas of central NC where I hunt a lot, winged elm is one of the most common trees in fencerows, old grown-up fields, thickets, and wood edges. Don't usually find them in creek bottoms as much. They're usually in the same general spots where you find a lot of cedar, sweetgums, and scrub pines. There are slippery and American elms growing pretty commonly in a lot of places, too, but they're harder to ID in the winter, and usually not as common as the winged elm.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.