Author Topic: bow stretcher  (Read 3417 times)

Bowskin

bow stretcher
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:22:58 pm »
how do you turn a 60" bow inot a 68" bow? either find a way to stretch the wood or expirement.

i didn't like how this was before the tips, so with the careful aid of a hack saw and sand paper i was able to slip these tips in. after i made the scrap bow i liked the tips so much, i tried them on some shorter bows, yeah the weight dropped on th first one, but i built up the rest i made to compensate.
 it's hickory back ipe with hickory tips. draws 30#@28" 1 1/2"@ the fades and 1/2" tips

the hardest part was setting it up on the tillering stick one handed for the picture

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bow stretcher
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:27:17 pm »
Interesting idea. Similar to the Asiatic horn bow nocks.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:35:33 pm »
how much weight do they add to the tips?  is there any noticable hand shock?  great looking bow btw I love the tiller on that one
GBR!

Bowskin

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 02:54:51 pm »
not much shock at all. the cross section is that of an elipse barely a half inch wide at the thickest, the little bit of shock far out weighs the lack of stack, so i was happy i think i could slim the tips even more if i wanted to, might try it... ;)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:14:50 pm »
Bowskin...are these just glued on ...like a Tip Overlay? If so what did you use?? That seemes like a lot of Stress for a Glue Joint...without a Wrap of Sinew or String to help strengthen it....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Bowskin

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:28:36 pm »
nah man, look real close. it's inbetween the backing and the ipe, hence the hack saw. the tips were an after thoughts so i cut down between the back and belly, after that i clamped jusy beyond the cut, incase it wanted to split when the wanna be siyahs got wedged in there, used smooth on,shoved in the tips then when cured just shaped the tips and boom, done

try it! it's cool!

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 03:34:18 pm »
saweet idea!

half eye

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 03:55:38 pm »
"using what ya got", good for you and congrats for outside the box my man ;D
half eye

Offline mox1968

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:15:09 pm »
how about a close up of the tips cool idea looks really nice

Offline jturner

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 04:30:13 pm »
page 186 of tbb vol2 has a pic of a bow by Tim Baker similar to that Ive been thinking of trying it but havent im glad to see someone do it. It looks great, Was there and speed or performance increase with the tips?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Bowskin

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 04:37:35 pm »
here's a better pic, you can see how the grain runs. got some better pics on the website, if this doesn't help

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bowskin

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 04:45:59 pm »
page 186 of tbb vol2 has a pic of a bow by Tim Baker similar to that Ive been thinking of trying it but havent im glad to see someone do it. It looks great, Was there and speed or performance increase with the tips?

yeah similar but different, longer, higher angle and between to layers, so didn't need to have the large glueing surface. it does act like a recurve(because it is, kinda) like i said before the hand shock was minimal, and with the one i did in the other post about the scrap reflex deflex, was even less than this. there was some other factors i had to think about, now the mind set is, how can i make a hick long bow with static recurves, even after tillering, so when i get my fingers back i'm gonna play some more with it ;)

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 05:01:29 pm »
I love it! I want to try that on a bow sometime...
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Bowskin

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 05:52:02 am »
by all means! i'm making plans to spice these up a bit and let the creativity flow...

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 10:26:06 am »
That's kinda interesting! Nice job.