Author Topic: More praise for cane shafts.  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
More praise for cane shafts.
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:14:19 pm »
Well, yesterday was my day off so I finished up a bow I've been working on for about a year now. Took it out behind the shed and shot some crooked shafts through it. no fletchings just bare shafts. several spruce and walnut shafts that never cooperated trying to stragten them. launched a few just at the side of the shed from about 25 yards. They bounced of at many angles and started to split and the walnut ones tended to just shatter.
Ok the bow shoots real smooth and pretty fast for walnut, but I had just ruined all these "almost" arrows. Now I have never shot cane but this past Thanksgiving I picked some up from the side of the road in E Tex. and have been slowly working them out to get some shafts out of them. OUt of around thirty cane I cut, maybe seven or eight made shafts. I have several of the leftovers laying up in the shed so I thought, "I should try some cane with this thing". Just cut one piece to length and made a quikie nock on the end made the forend blunt. It was crooked as all get out but I thought it might be fun just to try. So...nocked her up and let fly from about 25 yds and it disapeared after a loud "WHACK" but wait it didn't just disapear without a trace I now have this 1/2 inch hole in the side of my shed! clean pass through 1/2" plywood at 25 yards with no point!
I did hear a "Just can't keep things nice" speech from my wife. (I guess she didn't share my sentiments about the cane)
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline aero86

Re: More praise for cane shafts.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 03:39:30 pm »
its very durable if done right.  i like it!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:28:37 pm »
ROFLMAO!!!
Wives sometimes have simply NO sense of adventure at times.  ::)
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:08:05 am »
 I start talking archery or rod building and al she hears is blaaa bla blaaaaaa bla bla ::) ::) ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:55:01 am »
mine stops at the door of my man cave and comes no further.  wish the kids did the same.  she caught me buying another ladderstand the other day and i got the speech of "how many flipping deer stands do you need?"  i screwed up when i asked her, "how many purses do you need?"  i got the look!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:56:13 am »
wow, mech, your still alive?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 11:04:03 am »
Gosh Chris. You ought to know by now there are somethings you just leave unsaid!  ;) Shoes and purses are a few items we should just accept and not try to compare with shafts and staves.  ::)
My wife is an artist so we both have things and areas we protect and stay away from.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:23:32 pm »
 You should have just lied and said someone stole a couple and you are only replacing them with one. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Pdwight

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:52:46 pm »
Reminds me of something I saw when I was 16 (1973), we had returned from Deer Hunting and this friend of our had a 410 single shot shotgun. This loudmouth (I have everything) hunter was giving him down the road about how the 410 was underpowered and couldn't kill anything.... He tried to coax the young man into trying to hit something with a shot from his gun....he was so shy he stopped talking, the loudmouth said try to hit that tree by my truck (which was about 80 yrds away) the boy would not do it so the loud mouth said hell just shoot at my truck it won't make it there...so the boy hands him the gun over and the loudmouth takes a shot at his truck........a neat little .410 hole appeared in the windshield........front and back.......Epic

Dwight

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:34:55 pm »
Reminds me of something I saw when I was 16 (1973), we had returned from Deer Hunting and this friend of our had a 410 single shot shotgun. This loudmouth (I have everything) hunter was giving him down the road about how the 410 was underpowered and couldn't kill anything.... He tried to coax the young man into trying to hit something with a shot from his gun....he was so shy he stopped talking, the loudmouth said try to hit that tree by my truck (which was about 80 yrds away) the boy would not do it so the loud mouth said hell just shoot at my truck it won't make it there...so the boy hands him the gun over and the loudmouth takes a shot at his truck........a neat little .410 hole appeared in the windshield........front and back.......Epic

Dwight
that does sound epic
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 03:42:36 am »
... and i got the speech of "how many flipping deer stands do you need?"  i screwed up when i asked her, "how many purses do you need?" ...

;D ;D ;D
Frank from Germany...