Author Topic: D bow nock point?  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Parnell

D bow nock point?
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:09:21 pm »
Where should the nock point ideally be on a D bow - directly in the middle or slightly high?  I'm thinking that if I'm nocking dead center the bottom limb will do more bending.  Should there be a nock about 1.5 inches off center...?
1’—>1’

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: D bow nock point?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:42:53 pm »
I am probably as Wrong as they come...but I build D Bows...and I always grip them with my Center of my Palm in the Middle of the Bow...and the Arrow Nocked above...so I would be one Vote for above Center forthe Nocking Point.....JMO
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:47:41 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:45:34 pm »
Makes sense to me.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:38:44 am »
I usually set up my bows with the nock point 3/8" above horizontal and I nock my arrows above the nock. Except for an occasional adjustment this set up works on everything.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 09:11:42 am »
I set the bow 1.25 inch above the handle roughly. There's leeway there. The nock point is set where the arrow flies the best. See Selfbow Care and Tuning. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:57:30 am »
On bows with limbs of equal length, I set my arrow pass 1.5" above center.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:49:38 am »
Well the Art of Archery, L'Art d'Archerie (15th century book) tells us to find where the bow balances on our thumb, then close the hand without moving the thumb. Thus you shoot the arrow off the hand just above the physical centre.

This is how I find where the arrow will pass on the English medieval type bows I make.

Craig

half eye

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 11:29:01 am »
Hey Parnell,
       I think some of the confussion may come from the fact that we shoot our bows differently than did most of the Native Americans. A lot of them used a "pinch" grip on the arrow (refered to as a primary grip) and most of us use a three finger string grip and would change where you wanted the knocking point to be. I know that the Ottawa did not even use knocking points....just put the arrow on at 90 degrees and fire away....but that was with a pinch grip.
      Since most of use the 3 finger (mediteranian style) you might want to listen to the other guys and set a knocking point "above center"....because you'll probably allways shoot with the "upper limb" "up", and not be forced to just "grab & shoot". Just the old guy's opinion.
half eye

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »
Well the Art of Archery, L'Art d'Archerie (15th century book) tells us to find where the bow balances on our thumb, then close the hand without moving the thumb. Thus you shoot the arrow off the hand just above the physical centre.

This is how I find where the arrow will pass on the English medieval type bows I make.

Craig

Me too. The easy and good solution.

Erik

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 02:54:35 pm »
On my simple primitive bows I generally don't use a nock point. I place the arrow on the string by feel; even pull from top limb and bottom limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 12:19:24 am »
Mine go from just above center like the Medieval technique mention to about 1.5" or so on others. But what matters the most to me is like what has been posted. The arrow goes where it shoots the best.