Author Topic: Name that bow wood  (Read 4467 times)

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Name that bow wood
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 08:27:52 am »
I would say Cherry,looks like to much heart wood for Honey locust,even tho the bark looks a lot
like it, if it had thorns. :)
   Pappy

Pappy, there are numerous cultivars of honey locust that don't have thorns that are use for landscape plantings. With this one being so straight and limb-free it looks like it may be one of this type.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 08:34:13 am »
Don't look like black cherry to me bark is wrong and its pretty small for BC
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Scrub_buck

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:38 am »
It is indeed honey locust.  I found this tree in a 40 acre block of timber I was helping a company cruise for a clearcut.  I have never seen one so straight and Pappy ... it did have a few clusters of thorns on it .. but not on this super straight section.  There were a few slmall clusters on the butt section that was too Knotty.  I ended up giving that one to another forester friend of mine who makes benches out of logs of hardwood.  He has a portable sawmill that he and his Dad process the logs with.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Scrub_buck

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 10:27:03 pm »
This joker nearly killed me this evening.  I finally did get it into quarters.  It has some twist, but it should be several staves in it somewhere.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 11:15:35 pm »
Black cherry is correct!!! Does it have small spade shaped leaves that are serated?  Look on ground around stump...

Offline xin

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 01:26:51 pm »
Honey locust should have been named"devil's thorn locust".  Never saw any honey  locust that did't have the most vicious looking and sharp thorns on the planet.  I think indians used the thorns for the tips on blowgun darts.