Author Topic: Questions on the A-H or whatever it's called lol  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Kegan

Questions on the A-H or whatever it's called lol
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:53:17 pm »
I'm refering to the "Mantra" bow in TBB vol. 4, the one painted like an alligator gar and it's stretched sister :).

First question, for those of you who have made these, what's the thickness at the fades, midlimb, and tips?

Second question, I know it has the edge over a normal flatbow with regular 10 gpp, but can I safely assume it would shine much more than the flatbow when using lighter arrows, say 7-8 gpp?

Thanks for the help :)

Offline Badger

Re: Questions on the A-H or whatever it's called lol
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:03:34 pm »
Kegan. I have shot Tims mantra bow on several occassions. I think Tim's mantra goes like this. Wide enough at the fades to take no set, wide enough mid limb to take very little set. I don't believe he ever measured the thickness, not many wood bowyers do measure thickness. I think he just made sure it was wide enough not to take set and then used an elyptical tiller. At 7 or 8 grains per pound a difference in bows that were close at 10 grains won't change too much but it would start to change. Bows that are fast with light arrows are bows that gave more priority in design to efficiency than they did stored energy. Stored energy is still a big factor just not the primary factor. Steve

Offline Kegan

Re: Questions on the A-H or whatever it's called lol
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »
Thanks Steve :). I spent today calculating, as best I could, starting thicknesses. I tried this once before, but rushed it and wound up wrecking it. Going to give it another shot!