Author Topic: scrap reflex/deflex  (Read 3529 times)

Bowskin

scrap reflex/deflex
« on: February 25, 2010, 05:37:12 pm »
ok this my first time posting so i hope the pics come up...

this is one i made from my srcap pile. literally! the core is two lams of ipe spliced at the handle with lap splices (might see it it pic)
stats: 74" ntn 30#@28" belly and back are hickory(cool wavy grain makes it shine like tiger's eye) 1 1/2"@ the fades 1/2" at the tips.

that extra piece on the handle was an after thought to build up some, again scraps from cutting the laminated riser. riser is layers of ipe, purpleheart, and hard maple. tips are also hickory.

building this was fun, and a great way to recycle scraps, thus it is named scrappy. lol!

hope ya like it!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Simple Hunter

Re: scrap reflex/deflex
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 06:23:59 pm »
Awesome bow.Need to see full draw and unbraced profiles.I really love the tips.

Bowskin

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 06:31:57 pm »
i'll see if I canget the wife to draw it, table saw chewed my fingers sunday, sad and depressing :'(  , but i'll still get some more pics up for ya when she's home.... i'm a lefty for now( hopefully just temporarily...)

Offline Simple Hunter

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 06:43:32 pm »
No hury. I hope you are ok.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:42:15 pm »
That looks good. Hope those fingers heal up-how bad did you cut them?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Bowskin

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:12:05 pm »
well it didn't hurt the saw blade diablo blades are awesome! went through th index and middle tips. middle got the worst of it. got bone and flesh, still got the fingers though, but gonna be a while till I can shoot again  :( waiting for another appt with an orthopedic doctor for the final say. not allowed back to work for a while and my colleg professors are somewhat understanding, hard to do math with the left hand though, and my twin three year olds are amazed with dads wrappings lol! sucks though, can't do nothing in the shop. getting bowyer DT's!LmaoSTILL GOT MY SENSE OF HUMOR THOUGH!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:54:13 pm »
nice scrap bow. very good work.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:52:10 pm »
Very nice ! 8)
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Lombard

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 10:58:19 pm »
Looks nice. Hope you didn't permanently damage yourself, good luck.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 11:28:22 pm »
That is a very pretty bow man, sorry about your fingers too. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Bowskin

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:20:37 am »
here are some more pics, i really had fun with this guy!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 07:33:46 am »
Beautiful bow,pretty color contrast.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Bowskin

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 02:47:36 pm »
thank you pappy. i learned something about the purple heart color that others may already know, but here it goes;

the planks i got were brown and did not turn purple till i got home. to digress it was a summer day, traveling 5 hours in the sunlight. hypothesis was the wood is reactive, or rather photo sensitve, kinda like silver nitrate in photo development, just like osage when it darkens. with this, i cut some fresh pieces, left the brown wood in the light for a few days, result was that trade mark purple we all know, so in conclusion, the more uv rays it is exposed to over a longer time dictates it's brilliance.

just love that deep purple

many may already know this, just thought i would share.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 04:48:54 pm »
You want to try to protect the wood once it turns purple, though because over time it will turn back to brown if exposed to a lot of UV rays.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Bowskin

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 06:43:01 pm »
i have been sealing all my bows with urethane but switching sealants now to a different product, didn't know it would go back to brown again though, strange, thanks for letting me know though.... :)