Author Topic: Burl?  (Read 10971 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Burl?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 01:54:30 pm »
 Fruit cocktail, maybe?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 02:45:16 pm »
 :o
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 03:11:05 pm »
I just made a pen out of ambonya burl, I bought the blank for 5 bucks, its 7/8'' square and 5'' long
I've been known to buy Honduran Rosewood burl for over 7 bucks a blank, depending on the quality ;D
just don't tell my dad I spent that much money on a little piece of wood ::) O:)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 03:24:00 pm »

Dang Grunt!  Was she inside that burl all that time?  :o You got any more of those burls? :o  Got any Oriental burls? ;D ;D
Man now that is a Burl! 8)  :o and Bowl !! :o  What kind of tree was that?

Wayne

Grunt

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »
The burl was from a Yellow Birch tree up on Grandfather Mountain and when I got it it weighed 3500 lbs. The title of this piece is Grandfather Bowl. It was a commission that I did several years ago as a gift from one rich guy to another rich guy. It took me about a year to complete.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 04:24:28 pm »

Coool !! 8)  Well I sure hope you emptied the bowl before you delivered it! ;D ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 04:40:48 pm »
I just made a pen out of ambonya burl, I bought the blank for 5 bucks, its 7/8'' square and 5'' long
I've been known to buy Honduran Rosewood burl for over 7 bucks a blank, depending on the quality ;D
just don't tell my dad I spent that much money on a little piece of wood ::) O:)

Amboyna and HRB are cheap compared to Cocobolo burl. I bought 1 blank (7/8" sq by 5") for $28. I still haven't made a pen from it yet (I'm kinda scared to mess it up). Not to mention real Zi'tan and Huanghuali which can go for $75 to $100 for a single blank of that size.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline jturner

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 09:39:15 pm »
Is it best to cut them green or let them dry first? I have some that I would like to cut up but ive been putting it off til i figured out the best way to cut them without ruining them.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 10:46:55 pm »
It will take a long time for them to dry if they are large unless you cut them up. I would suggest cutting it into slabs between 1 and 2 inches thick (or thicker if you need larger pieces) and sealing them all around with wax or green wood selaer (Anchorseal is one brand). You need to seal burls allaround because the swirling grain makes them more prone to crack anywhere, not just on the end grain.

You need to make sure you dry them slowly as burls are prone to twisting and cracking if dried too fast. Make sure to cut the pieces a little thicker than you need to allow for some wood loss due to shrinkage and twisting/cracking.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)