Author Topic: primitive shelter  (Read 12161 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: primitive shelter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 12:06:12 pm »
Looks like good makings for a ground blind too.  With the right spacing of the pine boughs you could shoot right through the sides.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 12:21:06 pm »
looks great
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cracker

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 05:54:47 pm »
Never thought of that you could go hunting and never leave the shelter. ;D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 08:39:26 pm »
  Ronnie, I shot three deer and two turkeys with muzzle loading shotguns and 50 cal this fall sitting in a similar hut built out of Cabbage Palm fronds. I was sitting in a beach chair reading a book when I shot one deer. All the shots were within 25 yards.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 09:17:29 pm »
With all natural stuff I guess they don't pay it much attention.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 09:29:29 pm »

Yep they do like that natural stuff.  A few years back, when I was hunting in Montana, down near, a boat landing, and pic nic area, there was a small hunting area, and they had cut a few small trees down, to clear an area, and I just laid down in between the trees, and watched the woods, and trails.  I had about six does, and a couple of little spikes, walk right by me at about six to seven feet! :o  And......the pak boots, I was wearing, I had previously tried to clean some mildew from  them, and used a disinfectant, and soap, and the disinfectant stunk, and would not dissipate.  I left them in the sun, and washed them again, and they still smelled like disinfectant.  Didn't bother those deer in the least.  Could've been they were used to chemical smells, at the boat landing.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 09:36:10 pm »
 Not at all. Even watched part of the Auburn-Alabama game on a cell phone till the batteries went dead. I just set up and built two for the prevailing winds. I also had a stand in a pine tree, 8' off the ground if the wind shifted out of the SE. I had a bear, stand on it's hind legs and sniff the bottom of my stand with my toes about 12" away from it's nose. I had the Set trigger ready to pull and pointed about 36" from it's forehead. It finally smelled people and took off running. I was glad, I'd of gone to jail or been feeding something to a gator if I'd shot it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WOODSLORE

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 10:21:09 pm »
THAT IS FLIPPIN` COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paleo arts are a long sent gift from our ancestors.

If primitive meant dumb......none of us would have been born!

Jake Levi

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 09:45:29 am »
Spread a thickish gravel under the fire place, put a light layer of sand over it and then build the fire over it, put some good sized rocks on the opposite side from where you will sleep and you can hold heat all night.  My 18' Tipi will hold heat for several days that way.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 12:57:29 am »

My holiday Inn holds heat too...... ;D ::)

Wayne