Author Topic: chaga fungus (with photo)  (Read 19809 times)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Re: chaga fungus (with photo)
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 06:29:29 am »
Hillbilly, thanks for the info.  I had been told in the past that nothing growing off the trunk was poisonous, though they may have only been referring to polyphores.  You probably saved me from poisoning myself.(again)  :P

As far as the dirt thing, studies have indicated that our fixation on sanitation is resulting in more allergies among our kids.  When they finally come into contact with a potential allergen, their immune system doesn't know how to handle it.  Public sanitation and baby formula were at the root of the polio epidemic.  Prior to that time, polio was a commonly encountered virus, and mothers passed on the immunity to their babies through the milk.  I've noticed with my own kids that something is up.  No one in my family had anything worse than mild allergies.  We were farmers, drinking raw milk everyday, as well as being exposed to $%!^ every day.  I have one son with a life threatening wasp allergy, and another with asthma.  Their mom has no allergies at all.  Growing up, I didn't know a single kid with asthma.  Nowadays it seems commonplace, like there's something wrong with our environment.  I always used to hear that doctors rarely got sick, because they were always around sick people.  That's probably true.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Jake Levi

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 01:59:28 pm »
Zenbowyer  the tetanus threat is one worth dealing with, but the upside is that a tetanus shot gives over ten years protection, I have had so many tetanus shots that they could use my blood for antitetanus serum. The titre has to be way up there.

That said, otherwise, I am continually getting my hands nicked, gouged, nocked and abraded, thankfully I heal fast, but do wash them thoroughly mostly because of coming in contact with other people.  I stopped getting stitches for things years ago. If its bad I squeeze some super glue on after washing it. Works for me. Also get smaller scars.

I am going to be looking for this chaga fungus, I am fairly sure I have seen it, and will be googling it.

Great thread guys, thanks.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 01:50:21 am »

Hey Josh, what part of Montana are you moving to?

Wayne

Jake Levi

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 09:38:59 am »
Is one season better then another for finding/harvesting this?

I'm not Josh but very shortly going to MT, settling either in Lame Deer in the SE or Browning up east of Glacier Natl Park.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 01:01:44 am »

My house just got finished today, and I will be moving to Thompson Falls, Mt. .  Between trout Creek, and plains.  Catecornered to Cour D'Alene Idaho. 8)

Wayne

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 06:31:55 am »
no seasons on this stuff jake
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Jake Levi

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 10:29:37 am »
Thanks Jamie

I was wondering as I saw some this week while driving around.