Author Topic: Any idea how too?  (Read 3168 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Any idea how too?
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:30:39 am »
Using a full length commercial feather, does any one know how to remove all the white, whatever it is called, from the quill and leave it like it would have been stripped?  I am talking about feathers that have already been ground.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Any idea how too?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:45:38 pm »
Charlie, you might try stripping them like with full length feathers. May help to re-hydrate them first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:47:33 pm »
how thin should you get the quill of the feather?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:17:10 pm »
Pat. I have tried that but can not get the quill completely seperated or they break.  I am trying something, and if it works I will post what I am doing.  But I have to find a way to get stripped colored full length feathers.  I can do the turkey feathers just fine, but I want some colored feathers and have plenty of full lenght RW feathers.  Just have to get it figured out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:40:47 pm »
If the feathers are dry they are hard to strip or break before they completely strip off. Try hydrating a few in a baggy with a wet rag for a few hours and see if that helps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mick

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »
Hi
If the feathers are already ground and the remaining quill [soft spongy bit is to thick} put feather between two peices of thin metal down flush to where quill starts and usig clamps ,grind down on flat bed sander very gently,checking that you do not go to far.
if you have a full length fletching jig ,you can also use clamp from this.

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 02:23:49 pm »
how do you strip turkey feathers?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 04:14:58 pm »
aero86.  I will have to find a posting that shows it.  If you pinch the very back end of the full feather, at the small end, and pull the quill away from it, then start pulling down on the feather all the way to the big end.  The feather will come off the quill and leave a very flat membrane on the feather.  i will find the tutorial and show you

Offline Greatgoogamooga

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:02:32 pm »
aero86.  I will have to find a posting that shows it.  If you pinch the very back end of the full feather, at the small end, and pull the quill away from it, then start pulling down on the feather all the way to the big end.  The feather will come off the quill and leave a very flat membrane on the feather.  i will find the tutorial and show you

Holy Smokes!  I just tried this.  It is sickeningly easy.  I've been grinding, filing, sanding and choking on the dust from the quill.  All I had to do was pinch the small and and start stripping the feathers off!!??!!

I filmed myself doing this with my cell phone lying on it's side and posted it on YouTube.  Pardon the fact that it's sideways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBo2w7SmiE

Goog

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:43:33 pm by Greatgoogamooga »

Offline Greatgoogamooga

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 11:17:31 pm »
Okay, Stringstretcher, since you showed me the light, and saved me hours of choking on turkey dust, I sacrificed a couple of factory full-length feathers (AMGs) to try to solve your problem.  I was successful at stripping the feathers off to the same thin membrane by heating the feathers up in front of my ceramic space heater for about 30 seconds, then starting about 1/2' from the end.  I parted the feather, then started pulling gently.  I ended up with the same results as if I had used a full feather starting from the tip, like I posted in the video above.

Goog

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:25:26 pm »
I will give it a try....thanks

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 03:47:48 pm »
Charles, try gluing/taping your feather down to something and then stripping. ART

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 04:21:04 pm »
I kind of figured if anyone had tried it you would have Art.  Thanks a lot.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 10:32:19 pm »
i never knew how to strip feathers. but now i do! im gonna go try it right now
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 10:38:02 pm »
OMG!THATS AMAZING! but a little too floppy and thin for me, but ill try it on some others
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"