Author Topic: Elm/Hickory***Hickory Thickness?  (Read 1777 times)

PeteDavis

Elm/Hickory***Hickory Thickness?
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:29:26 am »

Gluing up an elm and hickory kit for my first try. Starting out, quartersawn elm core is 3/4" x 2" x 72". I have a 3/16" hickory strip that I need to clean up. How thick should it be? Is 1/8" OK?

PD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Elm/Hickory***Hickory Thickness?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 10:34:48 am »
1/8" is good. I usually start out with a 3/16" strip and after cleaning up both surfaces end up with 1/8".  You can even go thinner if necessary but leave it at 1/8" for now. If you find the belly getting too thin reduce the backing strip a bit or reduce the width of the bow some.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

PeteDavis

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 10:44:07 am »

Thanks Pat. Is Elm temperamental as a board core? Good under compression? My board is perfectly quartersawn. Thanks again-PD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:50:40 am »
Pete, I have done very little with elm so someone else should maybe advise you there.  I know it does make a good backing for less compression strong woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 11:55:40 am »
Elm has no unexpected pitfalls as a board core in my experience.  With your edge grained orientation, if the elm is thick enough you don't need to back it.

Dave