Author Topic: Russian Olive  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Russian Olive
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:35:34 pm »
Am wondering if Russian Olive will make a good self bow.  They are cutting lots of large diameter trees and was wondering if it is any good?  It is very dense and hard on chain saws.  It has dark wood in the center and a thin white layer on the very outside under the bark.  I have access to all I want and since there is very little good bow wood around here would like any input you might offer.  Thanks    Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Russian Olive
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:45:23 pm »
I don't have any personal experiance with it Joe but I have heard of others using it for bows. Grab some and split it up. What have you got to lose... :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:13:30 pm »
I remember seeing some nice bows on here made from Russian Olive, beautiful wood. It should work.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:00:55 am »
JOE IT MAKES VERY NICE BOWS  JUST MAKE UR LIMBS A BIT WIDE3ER I MAKE EM SILAR TO MAULBERRY  FINISHES  OUT BUTIFUL  BROCK

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:44:16 am »
I know if you live in southern  Utah you can cut any tree you see at any time on blm land, as they are an invasive species and have overrun some of the desert areas where they thrive. there have been futile  steps taken to get rid of the russian olive. They cut the tree and then burn the stump. If Russian olive makes a good bow maybe we should market them for cheap staves

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 12:53:43 am »
Land owners here are being paid to cut them down so I think I will try to bring some to the Classic to see what the pros can do with them.  Thanks Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 01:06:57 am »
I thought about russian olive, I live close to the snake river here in Idaho and the banks are covered in those trees.  I will have to get me some and see how is works. Wolf thanks for asking it helped a few of use out

Tell
Tell Riley