Author Topic: Question about rawhide backing  (Read 1957 times)

Offline tronman

Question about rawhide backing
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:02:51 pm »
I have just applied my first rawhide backing, and I would have to say it was about 95% successful. As I was unwrapping it I discovered about a 2 inch section that developed a narrow crease that is near the edge, and in this crease an air pocket developed. I used TBIII to glue the the rawhide and now I am curious what is the best way to remove or fill this air pocket. Other than this I pretty pleased with my first attempt with using rawhide as a backing.

Thanks for all your help,
Eric

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Question about rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »
lets see a picture of it...you may be able to just moisten the Rawhide and get it to lay right...or you may have to heat it to make the Glue let loose
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:29:44 pm »
That's one of the reasons I prefer using liquid hide glue for rawhide backing. In this situation you could take that crease out with a warm iron. I'm not sure how you do it with TB, but I'm sure someone on this board will be able to help you.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:31:28 pm »
I too only use Hide Glue on Rawhide...Snakeskins...and Sinew Backings...Titebond works great for Boo...Hickory...and Fabric Backings though
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 02:56:03 pm »
TiteBond will release at 150deg(F) but I don't know if it will reconstitute back to full strength afterward.    A picture would be a big help.     You could slit the wrinkle and re-glue it push out any air bubbles and lay it back down.
I usually use TB glue for snake skins and rawhide. Depending on the consistency of the material I'm using I may or may not wrap after gluing. When I do wrap it is only until the glue sets up some then I remove the wrap. At this time the glue under the backing is still tacky so fixes are easier to do if necessary plus with the skin or rawhide still somewhat soft it is a good time to remove the excess with a sharp razor. Final trimming and sanding will be done after it is completely cured.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tronman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:36:52 am »
Thanks for yours suggestions. I was able to fix it. First I slit open the crease to expose the air pocket. I then moistened this area with a wet gauze to make the area more flexable and to help open the area needing repair.  During procedure I found that this area was a little longer and larger then I previously thought. I applied some more TBIII to this area, smoothed out his area, clamped it down for 1/2 hour or so to allow glue to set, and then removed the clamps to adjust any areas that looked problematic. The repair looks good and so far is holding.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:54:26 am »
Push comes to shove u can cut or sand out the spot and fill in with a new piece the sand smooth to fade it all together.

Russ