Author Topic: Ipe/Maple backing - 70"  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Parnell

Ipe/Maple backing - 70"
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:51:05 pm »
This bow has been moving along quickly.  I started it on Sunday.  Swampbow was kind enough to pass along a ipe board to me.  Thanks Bjorn.  I've backed a ipe bow with maple before.  In the brace picture you'll see it above.  That shorter 64" ntn bow (a year old) has held up well.  I've shot lots and the ipe had even chrystled from my beginning tillering.  Still no trouble.
So, I had a maple board and decided to give it a go with cutting a backing.  Would love to have used hickory, but I have none available and my hardwood shop where I had been getting hickory boards, in the immediate area, has shut it's doors >:(.

Anyhow, this is where I am at.  I've got 36# at 18 inches, so far.  I'm going to reduce the width of the outer limbs to bring down mass and get them bending a bit more.

How's it looking?

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

Re: Ipe/Maple backing - 70"
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56:58 pm »
Oh yeah - I'm looking to come in at 55-60 at 28.  I've been drawing to 27 but I've realized that my full extension is 28.  With the bow this long I want to work on that...
1’—>1’

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:48:10 am »
Your tiller looks pretty good so far.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:00:07 pm »
 The bow is shooting and I really like it.  I've been making 64 to 66 inch d bows - this one being 70 feels like it draws so smoothly.  It's great.  I made the 'cheap' string silencers from the how to thread using 100% wool yard.  I think they turned out very well, but I'm not sure if the bow really needs them.  For the time being I'll keep them in. It needs a bit of finishing.  I'm going to stain the back to darken it some as the maple contrast looks great but might be a bit much for the field.  I'll post more pictures when I get the finish done.  Thanks for lookin!

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:12:32 pm »
Looks Good.  It's kind of nice to see Ipe lams in D bow form. 
Nate Danforth

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:22:02 pm »
wow man that looks good.  cant wait to see it finished up!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 01:05:33 am »
Nice bow, good job.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 07:31:32 am »
Good looking bow,very nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:31:26 am »
Very nice work.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline barebo

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »
Hey Parnell, she looks real nice !! Can you feel it bend in the handle?? are you going to build up the grip some or leave it as is ??
I just finished a Hickory backed Ipe longbow - 70" ntn. Really liking it a lot. Did you encounter any "dips" in your belly while tillering??
Seems like the Ipe just doesn't want to smooth out for me, so I just left them in. You can tell it's hand crafted!!! I like the nice arc of a tiller you got on this one . Great work !!

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 09:40:28 pm »
Great tiller! Keep those natural wood colors and seal it up nice and shiny, and that's a bow to show off!
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Rich Saffold

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 11:09:51 pm »
Parnell,  Your bow looks real good and I like the money shot too.That smooth draw is why the 70"+ length and bow style has been a favorite of mine.. I've never needed silencers on these bows even with a skinny low stretch string, and I think that quiet bows have an efficiency advantage, especially when hunting.. ;)

You got me inspired to get a straight maple board and rip out some backings.. ;D

Richard

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 10:39:52 pm »
Thanks for the kind comments on this one guys.  Barebo, I'm going to leave it as is, I think.  If anything a simple cord handle wrap, but I'm finding that I prefer these D bows and I like them without a handle wrap, better.  Their simplicity is their beauty, I think.  I can feel it just begin to move in the handle, barely.  Because the cross section of this bow is basically a D any dips were removed.  I've made some with a flatter belly that I've had them but trapping the belly makes it easier to remove them and I wonder if this cross section secures the maple backing better.  Thanks profsaffel, and Rich - the maple smoothness for a backing is really great!
1’—>1’