Author Topic: Quick question Please  (Read 3385 times)

Offline chuckp

Re: Quick question Please
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:49 pm »
Thank you all very much. You seem like a great bunch of guys.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 01:41:56 am »
Listen to Jawge, he is a man who definitely knows what he is talking about...  I know that whenever I was picking out red oak boards for bows, the front grain would look "straight enough"  and I would think it would make a bow only to have it blow up on my tillering tree.  I started checking side grain and have had far fewer failures.  The front grain tricks me into thinking it will be ok, the side grain never lies...  :)  That is what I was trying to convey when I drew the pictures, sorry they weren't all that great I was at work and trying to draw them fast in between patients.  :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:13 am »
I agree with Josh. Look at Jawges website. I don't know if I got lucky with my 1st but I tired to follow his as much as I could. It turned out to be a shooter. Look at my post "1st Bow" This was the results of Jawges and others advise. Good luck.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline chuckp

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 01:30:06 pm »
Would Plain Sawn cuts show a board face that has straight, parallel grain? Seems like only rift sawn cuts would.
(Sorry George, I posted this question prior to you e-mailing me)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:56:50 pm by chuckp »