Author Topic: End Grain Direction  (Read 4227 times)

bowkee

End Grain Direction
« on: February 22, 2010, 05:05:13 pm »
Ive Been Seeing a few Bows Made with the End Grain Vertical instead of Horizontal , I was wondering what the difference in Performance this would make or is it just a personal preference to keep from getting Less Set.

Offline Dauntless

Re: End Grain Direction
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:53:09 pm »
What you are referring to sounds like fully quartersawn wood.  This type of wood is usually in board form, purchased from a lumberyard.  Some backing strips are also made with quartersawn boards as well.

I think performance wise, things are pretty similar to normal (plain sawn if a board) or rift sawn (diagonal end grain) wood.  Some ring porous woods like oak should technically be made into wider bows if quartersawn.  This would be because part of the back is made of spongy early wood that has less tension strength than the dense late wood.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:45:00 pm »
I don't like 1/4 sawn. If you decide to use it be sure the edge grain is straight tip to tip. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:34:34 pm »
Quartersawn is about all I will use in a Board...for my Paddle Bows and Ojibwa Bows...and I think that is what Halfeye uses also...if I am not mistaken...I think that it is very responsive...doesn't seen to take set as bad as Plain Sawn does...but like Jawge said...you have to pick your Grain...make sure that you have little...to no run-off...preferrably no run-off at all
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

bowkee

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:59:35 am »
Thanks Gents, I made a Quartersawn board bow 30 someodd bows ago and it was the one that blew on me, of coarse I did not know about grain and runoff and the other bowyer tricks.
I take it that vertical would work best in a core bow.
Dauntless, thanks for the books link, I saved it in my bookshelf.
anyone know if yazoo is still around I would like to get another Osage stave soon
or a Dana maple would work just as good.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:38:09 am »
Never worked with boards so can't comment,yes Yazoo is around,just look him up on the
member list and pm him.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 11:47:35 am »
...."dauntless".....lol, I like that name, maybe I should change to it.

You are welcome.  I really like the Google Books preview option.  Has most of the parts of the TBB available....just can't print it.

j
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

bowkee

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 07:21:52 pm »
...."dauntless".....lol, I like that name, maybe I should change to it.

You are welcome.  I really like the Google Books preview option.  Has most of the parts of the TBB available....just can't print it.

j

sorry about the name, whats wrong with me ::)