Author Topic: Question on Yew stave.  (Read 16661 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Question on Yew stave.
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2010, 12:44:06 pm »
 Thats looking really nice Pappy. Glad you got her shooting. Yew is very light in the hands but can pack a punch on the arrow,  Why are you wanting to rawhide back it? Just extra safety or decoration?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 12:47:18 pm »
Pappy ...I know firsthand that on a Character Bow with lots of knots and High-Low Depressions...it's next to Impossible to just Innertube Wrap the Hide on...without getting Major Air Pockets in the finished Hide Job....I switched to Hide Glue....and also take my Wife's Cotton Balls that She uses for what ever Women use Cotton Balls for... >:D..and I place these wherever I can see that there may be a problem spot getting the Hide to dip into....I place the Balls over the Low Spot...then wrap the InnerTube over the Balls...this will push the Hide down into the Depression better....lessening the chance of an air bubble....Just a thought....good luck...and lets see it finished! I am still sitting on a Primo Yew Stave...had it now for 6 years...too scared to ruin it...... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 01:00:36 pm »
Keenan I know I have violated the sap wood some,so just for insurance,some say it's OK and some say it's not,I just didn't want to take a chance ,what do you think ? That for the tip Mike,it really only has the one knot on it that I think would cause any problem with the rawhide,the rest of the bow is clean. I just wonder about using hide glue,I have always used tb3 before and seemed to have worked pretty good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 02:53:27 pm »
I have done it both ways Pappy...I have had no problems with Titebond....I use it on Silk....Linen....and Flax Backing...but I use Hide Glue on Snake and Rawhides...just seems to suck it down tighter to the Wood.... as the Hide shrinks...so does the Glue....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline gmc

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2010, 09:50:34 pm »
The Torges method mentioned earlier by David works. I did two such bows using this method with perfect results.

Goggle a search using "rawhide a bow".

Central Kentucky

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2010, 06:40:09 am »
Well I got the rawhide on ,I used TB3 it turned out fine.That was all I had time for with the club meeting and wood cutting.It's should be dry and ready to shoot and fine tiller when ever I get the time in the next few days,seem all my bow projects are dragging out lately,to much other stuff getting in the way. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2010, 07:40:09 am »
I finely got a chance to get back on this,hopefully get it finished in a few more weeks,I didn't like the way the rawhide looked on the back so I got a bull snake and put it on this weekend,turned out pretty good at least I like it better than the rawhide.I wanted to leave it plane on the back
to get that bright white that yew sap wood has but the rawhide had dark spots so I went with
the skins.See what you think. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2010, 09:26:19 am »
That bow turned out great, Pappy. It's a beauty. I'm glad it worked out for you. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2010, 09:36:41 am »
That's a beautiful skin.  Bow looks really nice.
1’—>1’

Offline Keenan

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2010, 10:55:08 am »
 Looking awesome Pappy

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2010, 06:34:06 am »
Thanks guys,I like the skin myself,first one I have done like that.Maybe get some sealer on it this weekend and shoot a little more,then finish up.Seems this has been a busy winter and can't stay on anything long enough to get finished. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2010, 09:04:25 am »
Pappy, that looks great so far.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.