Author Topic: Giving boo a try. some questions  (Read 5313 times)

Offline Greatgoogamooga

Giving boo a try. some questions
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:22:44 pm »
Well...everyone ELSE seems to be trying bamboo, so I gotta do it too...right?   :)

I stopped by Home Despot and plunked down a whole five dollars for two bags of the bamboo plant stakes.  I'm impressed with how straight I can get it using a small ceramic space heater.  So far they look promising and I was able to get 3  shafts from one bag that I think are acceptable for testing purposes.  My questions are:

What do I do for target/field points?  Because of the taper, the tips are around 1/4".

Do you sand down the bark, or leave it on?  I have been reading about people sanding down the nodes, too.  If I sand it, do I seal it afterwards, even if I do just the nodes?

Is there a "grain" with which I want to face the nock?  Not so much because of splitting but because of the shaft's tendency to bend one way or another.

As it turns out, my neighborhood is lousy with bamboo.  Lots of people have planted it and I can harvest a ton of it if I wanted to.  Is there a good/bad time to harvest bamboo?

Thanks

Goog

Offline ZanderPommo

Re: Giving boo a try. some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:08:37 pm »
those seem pretty thin, you want the fat end to be the tip end

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:12:38 pm »
You shoot bamboo backwards, using it as a tapered shaft.  You can sand the nodes flat on the tonkin cane(bamboo). If you plan on shooting them a lot I wouldn't worry about sealing as you'll probably break or loose them before they start to go bad at the nodes.
As for the nock, line them up with the shoots at the nodes, because they usually grow 180 degrees apart. Also bamboo does have a stiffer side and that's the side you want against the bow
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Greatgoogamooga

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:09:32 pm »
Ooops, I was making them backwards.  Sounds like I need larger diameter cane.  The point end would need to be 11/32" or larger, if that's the case.

I appreciate the advice on making these arows.  Anybody have experience harvesting cane?

Goog

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:11:03 pm »
I harvest cane each year. Haven't been able to lately but will as soon as the snow melts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline riarcher

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:40:37 pm »
I appreciate the advice on making these arows.  Anybody have experience harvesting cane?
Goog

You're way ahead of me on these. I spent a week or better trying to figure out how to straighten the darn things,,, even with everyone's help.
I was concentrating heat on too small an area I think. All I got was burnt offerings and snapped garden stakes.  ;)
But, I have learned. All is better at bending.  ;)
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 11:18:51 pm »
What's better. River cane, hill cane or Home depot cane?  I can harvest all of the first 2 that I can handle. ;D the HD I have to pay for :(

How long does it take for fresh boo to dry before working and shooting it?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 12:14:35 am »
I personally would like to try some can.  I think using home depot bamboo is good because its more forgiving on mistakes, and you can flatten the nodes out in many ways. 

Now, to just find some cane around here...
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Sweet Potato

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 05:27:18 am »
Hello Goog,

I've only used bamboo for arrows, its easier for me to find than wood.
My experience is limited to a few arrow making sessions, but here's what I found and did.
This is my first reply to a question so take it for what its worth, I hope you find some help here...

For straightening, heat the area to bend over low heat, keep it moving and wipe with a damp rag periodically.
My gas stove heats things up in under a minute. Bamboo will become very bendy, even rubbery when hot.
Make a tool, just a handle with a 90 degree notch (or hole) for finer bending control, and you don't need to hold the hot arrow shaft.
Don't overheat - just to where its too hot to touch is enough.
And hold the new shape until cool.

Sanding yes, sealed with a couple layers of left over gelled up wood oil.

For the nock I started each about an inch back from a node and oriented the nock 90 degrees to the natural stiffness (wider part of the shaft's oval).
To reinforce the nock and tip ends I wrapped with dental floss, whip finished and super glued. It worked very well and never frayed.
I also drilled out the center hole of loose stuff at the nock end with a small file, filled with a bamboo skewer and super glue for extra reinforcement.
These two reinforcements made for a very strong nock.

For field tips I experimented with short hex bolts with a rubber gromet between the head and threads.
Again make sure you wrap reinforce this end too. Screw bolt in straight just snug with the gromet, and it works great for soft targets.
Hit anything hard and the shaft splits after a few hits, driving the bolt into the hollow and ruining days of work.

Good luck!
Sam
Every day got dog.

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:11:26 am »
I have found using a two setting heat gun works very well when straightening this stuff.  Especially on the low setting.  Just slowly spin the shaft around and within 10 to 15 seconds, its ready to bend.  Nodes take a bit longer to heat correctly.  The outside of the bamboo will start to look. Waxy when its hot enough.  With the heat gun its a nice and easy controlled heat. Ou really have to work at scorching it to scorch it

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:55:20 am »
im just starting to mess with boo/cane as well. i finished a decent batch of six. four tonken shafts and two river cane shafts. everyone els has answered the other questions so i guess i'll try to answer the questions about cutting cane, drying, types, and so on. (someone please tell me to shut up, and correct me if i tell the guy something wrong)

the home depot cane is tonken if im not mistaken, which has much thicker walls and is stronger and can be made smaller diameter than hill or river cane, but any of the three work well. as for harvesting it, people tell me to cut it about a half inch at the fat end, but i find that i need a little smaller, so i guess you would have to expiriment. cut them nice and long so you can pick the best pice of it to use for your shaft. there are first year shoots that you dont want. these will be weaker and just dont work well. the first year growth will still have the little brown sheaths or whatever you want to call them around the nodes. go dig around in the cane patch and you'll see what i mean. ive had people tell me to dry them anywhere from a month to six months, but most ppl say around two months should do. if you dry them inside, they will still be green, and all you have to do is set them out in the sun for a day to turn them nicley brown. then, well, you know the rest of the process.

im pretty sure thats all right, but if someone dissagrees, you should probably go with their advice over mine, cuz im an amature lol.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 11:02:01 am »
hey recurve shooter, and anyone else that has used river or hill cane..  is it much different than working bamboo?  or am i not missing out?  i cant find any in my area yet to harvest.  is it just smoother than bamboo, or just not as tough?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 11:28:52 am »
Hill cane, river cane and switch cane are the only native bamboos to North America. Arundinaria is the genus name and the species names are appalachiana, gigantia and tecta, respectively.. There are similar boos in Japan with the same genus. Hill cane only grows in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. All of the native canes will make good arrows. I prefer hill cane and switch cane because they are smaller in size, thicker walls and less pronounced nodes. Hill cane is my favorite because it grows along my driveway.  ;D
 There are other exotic bamboos growing in the US, some are appropriate for arrows and some are not.
  When cutting cane a 3/8" open end wrench works well as a portable gauge to measure the base size. Also with any cane or hardwood shoot shafts you want at least 2 year growth. The first year cane grows to it's ultimate height. The second year it matures and after the third season it dies. Ideally you want to harvest cane after it's second growing season but before it dies. If you cut first years growth you will notice longitudinal  wrinkles in the rind. These canes will make arrows but they will be very light and flimsy. If you cut only culms(canes) that the papery sheath is deteriorating or has already deteriorated you should be good to go with cane shafts. If the papery sheath is holding fast the cane is still too immature. Also the color of immature cane is bright green and as it matures it turns a more OD green or yellowy green.  A little study and experimentation is warranted when cutting natural materials for shafting...and for bows also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 04:11:10 pm »
well, pat, if you have some cane growing along your driveway, why dont you shoot me some to try out!  heheh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 04:41:56 pm »
When I harvest it I might just do that. ;)  I haven't been able to harvest because of back problems since just after Christmas.  >:(