Author Topic: Bow fishing rig??  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Aries

Bow fishing rig??
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:15:12 am »
I will be going on a 3 day 2 night canoeing trip down current river, MO come spring break. I was thinking about trying to set up a couple of fishing rigs on some osage shorty bows for some extra entertainment and to make some meat for round the camp fire.  The Current river is spring fed, very clear, and they say it has some pretty good fishing.    Has any one had any success with Neo-Primitive fishing rigs? i'm lookin for some ideas. The best I've thought of so far is just super imposing a Zepco onto the side of the bow with artificial sinew lol ;D.  Also any ideas for a home made fishing arrow head using a normal 200 grain tip as a base?  (i have access to metal shop (welder.. stainless steel.. plasma cutters.. etc.))  I have about 4 weeks to get everything together and i'm pretty pumped bout this trip!!  Thanks guys  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Bow fishing rig??
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:11:59 am »
Buy one of those bungee reel seats from 3 Rivers, they work great, or they make tape-on reels. As for points, anything with good barbs will work, but the main thing in designing them is the ease of getting the fish off of it once you've stuck it. My advice is to start with commercial arrows, for the safety factor, and you can make up stuff after you get the feel of it. An arrow zipping back at your face or body at Mach 2 is no fun. Here's a video of me and Mechslasher bowfishing last year, I'm using a selfbow with one of those 3 rivers bungee-seat adapters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t11hvCYtoP0
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

72shane

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 02:14:40 pm »
For ten years all i used for a reel was a dog food can. Cut two notchs on the top of the can the same width as your limb, bend them out 90 degrees and tape or tie to the bow. I also layed a piece of wire on the side of the can and taped it to use as a clip for the line. Works just as well as any other wrap type reel, cheap, easy to make, and easy to swap from one bow to another. Then i found the "slotted retriever" and never looked back...lol

As far as arrows, commercial arrows would probably be the best bet. I use muzzy tips on fiberglass arrows for most everything. When it was legal to shoot shark, id mount a broadhead to the tip though. As far as pan sized fish in shallow water, i still prefer regular wooden arrows and field tips with no reel. Good luck and sounds like a fun trip.

Offline Aries

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 03:18:35 pm »
thanks guys ill see what i cant fashion up for the trip. I should be able to come up with some fish points and stuff in the next couple weeks and ill test out some different ideas for wrappin up my cord.  i like the can idea ;D
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow