Author Topic: New Traditional Bowyer's Bible  (Read 47714 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: New Traditional Bowyer's Bible
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2007, 10:10:40 am »
Matt
I don't mind posting things for you but please reduce the size of the pics down to less than 200 kb, which is the maximum PA allows anyway
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

MattE

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2007, 10:33:14 am »
Marc, I apologise for the imposition I put you through. A friend took the pictures for me. If I had only known the trouble it was going to cause you I would not have sent them. I owe you one friend! 

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2007, 10:44:29 am »
Hi Jim and the rest of you.  I dont post often, but I read here a lot, and now have TBB 1/2/3, plus a full set of PA back issues.  So, I have a lot of reading to catch up on.  But please make sure there's a few copies of the next volume sent over to my side of the pond to keep us Brits up to speed  ;)

By the way, I agree with one of the others, in that I think the new book should be called TBB IV, rather than Epilogue.  I'm sure there so much more I can learn yet, and so much more that needs to be written down for people like me, and posterity.

Best wishes for the success of the next volume!

Bob  [Shooting Primitve Class in the NFAS]
Company of Sixty Field Archers, Surrey, UK.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2007, 11:12:22 am »
Mickey, just wanted to tell you thanks for the web page. I spent a lot of time looking through your stuff yaers ago and still check in off and on. It has always been well done and very helpful. I look forward to your chapter... Chris

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 09:57:40 pm »
Can't wait for it to come out.Congratulations to the new contributors.Now I can say,"I know those guys" ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jpitts

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 12:56:21 am »
Wow...count me in for an autographed copy too. I can't wait to read it. Wish I had a dime for every time I've read the others. Like others, my library includes all the other Bibles, plus the full set of PA, TBM, IA, and L&R. Can you tell I like to read?
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 01:09:56 am »
...Wow Jimmy..........didn't know folks in gorgia could read  :D.....well 'dang liv 'an lern' :P.....bob

chuck

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2007, 12:51:39 am »
Wow, guys I'm proud to know yall. I have learned alot from reading yall's stuff. Mark has helped me out on several things. I really respect what he says about the craft. I too would like a autographed copy of the Book that would be some kind of keep sake. Good luck and keep coming up with ideas.Chuck

Offline jpitts

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2007, 01:07:57 am »
Why shoot Bob.....I'z can read and do rithmetic just as good as yourin's can   ::)    .....it's these dang shoes that's killin me ;D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2007, 05:30:44 am »
Yeah, The Bowyers Bible IV sounds better.!...never say never ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

woody

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2007, 01:39:07 pm »
I was just about to suggest that a new book be published.  Bowyers must think alike! I look forward to it very much.

I would suggest that different techniques be covered that haven't been covered in the past volumes.  For example, a lot of information is floating around on this discussion board with some great ideas that are not found in the previous books.

1) There has been a lot of posts on making shafts for arrows (check out JD Duff's - very informative).   

2) Also, I would like to suggest more information on obtaining materials (for those of us who do not have ready access to the woods).  The 'making bows from boards chapter in volume 2 has a lot of good information, but there is hardly any hardware stores in my area that actually handle any of the woods mentioned.  Maybe you could include a "Building a Bow on a Budget" or "Archery Tackle on a Budget" chapter. 

3) Somebody else mentioned more pictures, not just illustrations; please do consider making that a priority as well, especially for the more technical material.

All the chapters you've already included look very interesting! How am I going to wait until 2008! :-)

Best Wishes,

woody

Offline billy

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2007, 02:40:17 am »
THat's awesome!  I can't wait to read it.  I talked to Steve Allely bout a week ago and he told me that a 4th bible was in the works.  I think it will be well received and maybe even a 5th one could be written in the future.  There is so much new information that keeps coming out about wooden bows that I think you could have an ongoing series  of bowyer's bibles. 

YAY!!!

Marietta, Georgia

Milo

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2007, 03:10:03 am »
Already put up my "Huzzahs, and HURRAYS!!!""", and now looking in retrospect:

Please do not call it the epilogue, or commpendium or anything along those lines....

At most:

Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol. IV - Reinventing the Wheel.... or whatnot...

But nothing less than:

Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol. IV.

There will be old, new, and the old made new again within it.....

....and ANYONE who thinks there will be no progressive revelations coming to light over the next twenty years on technology long past is kidding themselves.

.........and it's really hard to then follow up with book four, when everyone will call the previous bood "Four" anyway...

Keith AKA Milo

Offline Badger

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
Milo, very well said. I think this is what we are all doing here. standing on one anothers shoulders always reaching for something higher.

Per comments on the english bows and the asiatic bows, maybe we can talk Jim into sponsoring cpmplete books on these bows in the future.   Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2007, 11:59:06 am »
Look how far wood bows have come since the first 3 volumns came out. In another few years, some of their info will be obsolete(some, I believe already is) and new theories and observations will be proven. I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into a book, much less a series of books like this but, especially with the amount of interest these books stirred up and the amount of folks pushing the envelope with regard to building and experimenting with wood bows, a complete volume could be written every few years.
   I remember when the first TBB came out, I was amazed at what could be done with a simple piece of osage, yew, and a few other "proper" bow woods. Now, look at our own BOM. We now have bows that would blow some of those origional bows and theories out of the water.
   I am very happy to see this new edition coming out but it isn't an epilogue as far as I am concerned...maybe for the origional authors but with the interest these great books have stirred up, others will and should grab the batton and continue the race to thje perfect wood bow...even though we all know there is no such thing as a perfect wood bow.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC