Author Topic: recurve question  (Read 1092 times)

Offline jturner

recurve question
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:00:14 am »
 I have a lot of 64 inch and shorter Osage staves and have never tried a recurve before, Which is easier for a beginner static tips or working tips? Advantages and disadvantages of each? will 1 1/2'' be wide enough or should I go wider? how long can it be before recurves are a waste of time? How much character  will they tolerate with the shorter working limb? How big of a circle should I trace for the tips? sorry for so many questions, Had one when I started typing this
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Parnell

Re: recurve question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:22:25 am »
Hi jturner,

I'm no expert but I did get to see some working recurves, before.  From what I understand, 64 inches is almost a max amount for osage recurves.  More than that and your not maximizing energy storage.  So you are good to go there.  If shorter by a bit, I think you are still ok but if much shorter maybe just sinew back?  The bowyers bible 2 on recurves claims that working recurves are easier for the beginner.  I'm no expert though.  1.5" Is plenty for Osage from what I've seen as well. 

Maybe more will chime in on this as I don't have much Osage experience.  I'm just passing along what I've learned from others and reading.

Good Luck!
1’—>1’