Author Topic: Vine Maple Tillering help  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Flashman

Vine Maple Tillering help
« on: February 20, 2010, 07:43:41 pm »
I've been here before.  I just strung the bow for the first time and the upper limber (longer limb) is stiffer than the lower.  The area just up from the handle is flat but the corresponding part on the lower limb has a very nice slight bend.  In fact the tiller on the lower limb is pretty good right now.  In the past,  I usually keep playing with the upper limb using a tillering tree and stick to gauge the bend but end up with an unrepairable hinge or mess up the parallel relationship between the handle and the string.

This is vine maple.  It isn't straight and has bumps and dips which makes a real nice looking bow but it also for me is more difficult to make a bow.  The key factor for me is price--it is free.  Someone told me the tiller at full draw is more important than strung or partially drawn as long as the limbs are balanced.  My concern however I can't pull the bow to full draw because it is much too heavy, maybe 75 to 85 #'(thank goodness), and I don't want to pull beyond the target weight of 57 to 60 #'s.  Is full draw tiller the real measure of proper tiller?  Any suggestions on how to get there without over pulling the bow? 

Thanks.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Vine Maple Tillering help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:26:17 pm »
Yes, full draw is the key. I'm not sure I understand your other question. But...begin reducing the limbs. If you feel the tiller is good scrape from both limbs the whole way and check tiller. Keep checking.  I don't hit target weight until about 24-25 in. I draw 26 in. The easiest thing for a beginner to do is pull to target weight and stop But the tiller must be good. Remove wood and continue. Mpre on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Flashman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:13:27 am »
At rest, in a normal braced condition with 5.5 inch brace height, the top limb is stiffer, ie, is straighter.  The distance between the belly and the string at corresponding locations on both limbs finds most of the distance shorter for the upper limb.  Should I ignore this and focus on the (eventual) full draw tiller?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:21:12 am »
No you should not ignore it. Try to even the limbs up a bit or you will strain one limb more than the other during tillering which may result in more set.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:03:54 pm »
Yeah...what Gordon said....work on that now...before it harms things down the Road...Slow and Steady......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Flashman

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:21:10 pm »
Gordon,

thanks for the input.  I have been very slowly playing with it since early this morning and the upper limb is coming into shape.  What is different this time for me is that I have a lot more weight (wood) to play with.  I usually get the bow down to the weight I want, then start final tillering and have a too light of bow or mistakes I can't correct.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 09:25:18 pm »
Can you show some photos? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!